~ Chapter 42 ~

Not long after ending the call with my mom, Cash pulled into the driveway of his house and parked outside the garage.

Once Cash cuts the engine, the rain hitting the truck sounds like if there were hammers pounding it.

"Are you ready?" Cash takes a deep breath.

"Nope but I'm freezing so let's go." I slip off my heels and hold them in my hand.

He laughs, "Good point. We'll go in through the garage so we don't get the whole house wet."

"Lead the way."

Cash grabs my hand before opening the door and sliding out. He helps me down and shuts the door as I make a run for the garage door.

I reach the door a second ahead of Cash and wait for him to unlock it. Thankfully there is a small awning overhead but the wind still makes shivers run down my body.

Finally, the door swings open and we both rush in. I take a deep breath, thankful to finally be indoors but the cold floor makes me curl my toes and I long for some fuzzy, warm socks.

"Come on." Cash grabs my hand and leads me to the door of the house.

Opening the door, he motions for me to walk in.

"Thank goodness you two are alright!" Betty greets us.

"Your mom called." She directs to me, "Of course you can stay. In fact, I would insist. It's impossible to go anywhere in this rain."

"Thank you." I try and smile but my teeth chatter together.

"Oh sweetie! Let's get you into a hot shower before you catch a death of cold." Betty opens the door and leads me upstairs. She shows me the room I'll be staying in before leading me to where I assume is her room.

After she leaves, I undress and step under the hot water, letting it wash my shivers away.

Once I've stopped shivering, I quickly wash my hair and build up the courage to shut the water off and step out of the shower.

Getting out, I dry off and look around for some clothes but I don't see anything. Going over to the mirror, I stick my tongue out at my reflection. I really hope that my smeared makeup is from the shower and not from the rain.

Looking around, I find some makeup remover and clean up my face.

I peak into the bedroom and find a pile of clothes sitting on the bed. I stand in the door way, wondering whether those clothes are for me.

The door swings open, making me jump back.

"Oh! I didn't mean to barge in on you." Betty gives me an apologetic smile.

"It's alright."

"These are for you." She walks over and hands me the pile of clothes. "I wasn't sure if you liked shorts or sweats so there is both. There is a hoodie in there along with a t shirt if you prefer that. I hope you don't mind borrowed clothes."

I grab the stuff from her, "This is perfect! Thank you."

"I'll let you get changed then. When you're finished, I made some hot chocolate if you'd like."

"Thank you, again. I'll be down once I change."

She walks out and look through the clothes. Despite the fact that I usually wear shorts and a hoodie, I go for the warmer option and slip on the sweats. Putting on the hoodie, a familiar scent surrounds me and I immediately know it's one of Cash's.

Walking out of the room, I jog down the stairs and into the kitchen. Cash is sitting at the island with a steamy mug in front of him. His curls are flying in all directions and gleaming slightly.