~ Chapter 30 ~

Saturday

"Mom!!" I shout, dropping my brush onto the counter. I stare at my reflection in the mirror and pout.

"Liberty?" Mom calls out.

"In here." I sulk, walking out into my room to find my mom.

"What's wrong?" She asks.

"Look!" I grab a piece of my hair.

Mom walks closer, looking at my hair, "Your hair looks great! You've never worn it like that before."

"That's the problem!" I pout, "Its curling but whenever I run the brush through it to loosen the curls, they completely fall apart! What should I do! Cash is going to be here any minute and I don't even have my hair done!" My eyes start to burn as unshed tears fill them.

"Oh Liberty, come on. We can fix this." She gently turns me back into the bathroom. "Crying isn't going to help especially since your makeup is already done and you're limited on time."

I nod, taking a deep breath.

Mom grabs a strand of hair, "You don't have any product in your hair! How do you expect them to stay."

"I've never needed to put anything in it before."

Mom quickly adds hairspray before running a brush through them. I cringe as she hits some knots but quickly untangles them.

"All done." Mom says, running her hand through my curls, fluffing them and making it look more like beachy waves.

"Oh my gosh, Mom! You're a life saver!" I breathe, turning and giving her a hug. "Thank you!"

"You're wel -" She starts before getting cut off by the doorbell.

"Mom! Thats him!" I pull back, my mind going into overdrive. "And I'm not even ready! Oh my gosh! What do I do?"

"Liberty, breathe." Mom instructs, holding onto my shoulders. I hear Dad open the door and they exchange greetings, "I'll go talk to him and you change. You already have your outfit ready, right?"

I nod.

"Good. He wont mind waiting a few minutes." She assures me as she lets go of my shoulders and walks downstairs.

I take another deep breath, trying to calm my shaking hands and racing heart. Walking over to my closet, I shed my clothes and pick up the dress I had bought yesterday while boot shopping.

When I saw this hanging on the rack, I couldn't resist but I don't understand why. It is a plain, off white dress, with thin straps and a scoop neckline. It comes to just above my knee in three or four layers and the back nearly touches the floor.

Its a loose dress so I grab a wide, brown belt and buckle it around my waist. Grabbing my new boots, I slip them on and find that they match perfectly with the dress. Smiling at my reflection, I grab a fitted jean jacket and head out the door.

Arriving at the top of the stairs, I expect to see my parents and Cash but instead, I hear their voices drifting from the living room.

Walking down the stairs as quietly as I can, I bite down on my lip, nervous to what their reaction would be.

The sound of my boots against the wood floor immediately draws their attention as I enter the living room.

All three heads turn my way and my eyes drift to each one of them. My mom's face shines with happiness as she nods in approval of my outfit. Dad has a pleased smile on his face but there is some sadness to his eyes.