~ Chapter 11 ~

Dragging my feet, I walk over to my purse and hand Rachel back her pants. "Thank you for letting me borrow them." I smile.

"You're welcome! How are you feeling about today's practice?" She asks.

I mentally cringe. I'm not even physically tired but mentally, that is a whole different story. I'm about ready to scream.

"It could've been a little more intense." I say, truthfully.

Rachel's eyes go wide, "More intense? That was the hardest work we've done all season."

I shrug, beginning to walk away. "Dobbs must take cheering more seriously." She looks startled but I quickly add, "But that's okay. I've got to go. See you tomorrow." I turn and jog out of the gym.

Stopping in the hall, I take out my phone and look at the time.

5:20 pm.

"Crap." I mutter. Practice was supposed to end at 5. I have to hurry home.

I take off down the hall towards the exit. Shoving the door open, I spot my car in the nearly empty parking lot.

Stepping onto the parking lot, I stop when I hear my name being called. I see Sterling jogging over to me.

"Hey." He greets me, his face flushed.

"Why are you still here?" I ask, knowing his practice ended twenty minutes ago.

He shrugs and looks at his feet. "My truck wont start and the guys already left. Besides, I was hoping I could get a ride with you since I am supposed to be going to your house." He gives me a shy smile.

"But what about your truck? Will or be okay here over night?" I ask.

"Oh yeah. It'll be fine. Tomorrow I'll just bring some tools with me and have it all fixed up."

I nod, "If you're sure..." He nods. "Alright! Lets go."

Walking to my car, I text the group, letting them know I'd be late.

I throw my bag into my car as Sterling just stares at it.

"She's pretty awesome, isn't she?" I pat the hood of the car.

I watch Sterling shake his head before answering, "Yeah, she's a beaut."

"Well," i break the silence that had set, " Get it."

"Oh, right." Sterling stammers before easing into the low seat.

Weird. I think to myself before getting in.

Entering my address to my phone, we take off.

The ride is pretty uneventful. We just listened to music and every once in a while, we would ask each other general questions.

I turn off the road and go through the gates of the community where I live.

Glancing at Sterling, I watch his eyes grow wide as he sees the houses we drive past.

Pulling into my driveway, Sterling's mouth falls open and for the first time, I see my house through his eyes.

I bite my lip and look at my phone as a message pops up.

Clearing my throat, I break the silence, "Let's go inside, Sue Ellen texted saying they would be here soon."

Sterling nods and I make my way to the front door.

As we walk to the front door, an suv pulls into my driveway.

Sue Ellen immediately hops out, "Oh my gosh! This is your house?" She gasps.