~ Chapter 16 ~

Saturday

I spend most of the day by the lake or in the theatre room.

My phone is long forgotten, I haven't turned in on after I shut it off last night and I'm not in the mood to turn it on.

I'm sitting at dinner with my parents, pushing my chicken and rice around the plate. I've been doing a lot of thinking today which I know isn't good for me because it just makes things worse.

I've been missing my friends in New York and I've been thinking about missing a week of school and visiting them but that isn't a good idea. It would make my parents mad and who knows what Coach would think about me missing a whole week of practice and a game.

That was another thing I was thinking about. I've been thinking about quitting the cheer team. I don't think I can cheer for the rest of the season and stay sane. When I can learn the cheers in one practice it really takes the  joy out of cheering. There is no challenge, work or sweat put into it.

"Liberty."

I look up from my plate to find both my parents looking at me with concerned looks on their faces.

"Yes?" I ask, breaking free from my thoughts.

"Is everything all right?" Mom asks.

"Everything is fine." I answer too quickly, "Why would you think everything wasn't alright?"

I watch mom and dad share a look and I know that I better think of something and think of it fast.

"Yesterday we noticed that you weren't smiling through or after your cheer routine, in fact, you looked lost. You also didn't want to go to the party with your friends. Then today, you've been laying around the house looking like a sad puppy."

I look down at my half eaten chicken as I realize I haven't been doing a very good job at hiding my sulking.

"We're worried, Princess." Dad speaks up, "I know the move, a new school and everything else can't be easy and we just want you to know that we are here to talk to you about anything."

I look up at them and see the concern on their faces.

The words are on the tip of my tongue. It will be that easy to tell them about everything, but I stop myself. Cheering makes them proud of me. It's the only time they really pay attention to me and I can't give that up.

"I'm okay." I force a smile onto my face, "the move has been hard on me and I'm just tired but I'm fine." I nod at them when they don't look convinced. "Really. I'm okay."

Mom nods, "Alright honey. But if you need anything, we're always here."

"Thanks Mom, Dad." I look down at my plate and realize that I'm not really hungry. "Is it okay if I put my plate away. I'm not really hungry."

Mom looks at Dad and then back at me, nodding, "Go ahead."

"Thanks." Getting up, I walk to the kitchen knowing full well that my parents don't believe my act. They know something is up. They know I'm not okay but they also don't want to push it, for that I am thankful.

Walking up to my room, I grab my phone and walk out to the balcony with a blanket. Sitting on one of the chairs, I turn on my phone and soon the screen fills up with dozens of notifications.

Missed calls from Patrick, Abi, and Sue Ellen along with messages from Sterling, Patrick, Frankie and Sue Ellen, all wondering if I was okay.