~ Chapter 13 ~

Ringing.

Sunlight.

Morning.

Three words that are always on my top 10 of words I dislike. And this morning was no different. In fact, I'd say it was more true than at any other point in time.

Suddenly, the ringing stops. I squint, keeping my eyes closed, as I wonder why my alarm would've shut off without me shutting it off.

Ringing.

But this time, it is different. This time, it is my ringtone.

Reaching across my bed to my nightstand, I pull my phone off the charger and answer, without looking at the caller ID.

"Hello?" I cringe at how groggy my voice is.

"Liberty! Hey! We didn't get to talk much yesterday so I thought to call you today and catch up! It's been so long!"

I roll my eyes as Abi shoots question after question.

"Slow down Abi. One at a time." I pull the phone away from my ear and glance at the time. I had one hour to leave the house. That would usually be enough time but with Abi's call, I'd have to multitask.

I hear her take a deep breath. "Alright. How are you?"

"I'm okay. This place isn't so bad. Like it has its ups and it has its downs but overall its okay." I say, getting out of bed.

"Really? I guess that's good. I'm going to have to see this for myself. We need to plan a weekend to go down. How's school?"

I decide to ignore that fact that she had waited to see if this place was livable before actually talking about making plans to come down to visit me. "School's good. The people are okay. I have some new friends that are chill. They have a cheer team that I joined.."

"You joined their cheer team?" Abi gasps.

"Why wouldn't I?" I ask, taken back. She knows I love cheer. She's been cheering just as long as I have.

"It just - I - " There's a pause and I wait for her to continue as I turn on my shower. "Cheer was our thing. That's how we met so I just thought - "

I cut her off, "You thought what? You thought that just because I moved and you were no longer with me and would no longer be able to cheer with me that I would just stop? You expected me to put my love for cheer aside just because you were no longer cheering with me? I hate to break it to you Abigail, the world isn't all about you. This is my life and even if I didn't have a say in the move, I do have a say in whether I make the best of this situation and that includes doing what I love which is cheer. I don't see you quitting the team. I don't see you resigning as cheer captain because I'm no longer cheering with you or co-leading."

I pause, giving her a chance to say something. When she doesn't, a small pang of hurt goes through me. Ignoring it, I continue, "Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get ready for my first time rocking my new uniform since I have a game later. Goodbye."

I wait a few seconds before hanging up in hopes that she would say something, anything. When silence drowns out the sound of the water pounding in the shower, I hit the red button on my screen, ending the call.

Frustrated, I peel of my clothes and step into the shower. I let the water run down my hair and body. It was relaxing and it felt as if it was also washing away all my stress and worry.

Realizing I am in a time crunch, I quickly wash my hair and step out of the shower.

Thankfully I dont need to worry about and outfit so I quickly dry and curl my hair. I pull part of it  back and tie it into a small pony tail so that some hair is still left to fan my face. I finish my hair off with a giant silver, glittery bow.