~ Chapter 12 ~

Thursday

The pizza dinner went great last night.

My dad got home soon after we began designing our pizzas and I could tell he approved of my new friends.

After dinner, we went out and I showed them the pool and dock. They stayed for a little while longer, playing with R2 and just hanging out.

Many times they would talk about stuff that I had no idea about and so I just stayed quiet. It was weird not being a part of the conversation or not knowing what they were talking about. They would try to include me and explain stuff to me and it made me feel good that they were trying to include me but it didn't help much. I couldn't shake the feeling that I don't belong here. I'm not like them and they aren't like me. We are totally different.

Even right now, as I stare at my closet trying to find an outfit fit for this crazy weather and place, I'm smacked in the face with the reality that I dont belong here and probably never will.

Yesterday I had almost brunt to a crisp. In New York, it was already cool and perfect for a light sweater or a thicker shirt but here, it is totally different. In the mornings its cool but once it hits noon, the weather is in the upper 70's or even 80's. I had to make sure I wasn't going to roast.

I decide to go extra casual and throw on a pair of gray joggers, a pink crop top and my gray Nike shoes.

Glancing at the time, I quickly dig out my old cheer bag and throw in a pair of shorts and a change of clothes for later. I fight the urge to forget the bag and use it as and excuse to skip practice but think better of it.

Grabbing a gray baseball cap, I go to the bathroom and quickly curl my hair and put it into a high ponytail, leaving a few strands out and putting on the hat.

Wanting to get to school a little earlier, I throw my makeup into my cheer bag and go downstairs for breakfast.

"Good morning Liberty!" Mom greets me as I sit at the breakfast bar.

"Hi mom." I smile grabbing the bowl of fruit she hands to me. "Thank you."

"You're welcome. There is yogurt if you want. I can also make you some scrabbled eggs." She looks up from cutting fruit.

I shake my head, "This is perfect."

"When do you get your uniform?" Mom asks, going back to cutting fruit.

I cringe at the reminder of having to cheer Friday. "Coach is hoping for today but the latest tomorrow since I need it for the game."

"Have you seen what they look like?" She asks.

"No, it's probably just a typical uniform with the school colors." I stand up and put my bowl in the sink. "I've got to go. I'll see you after school."

"Leaving so early?" Dad walks in.

"Yeah, I want to get to school early to get a good parking spot. Yesterday I was super far away." I explain, grabbing my stuff.

"Alright. Have a good day." Dad says.

"Thanks Dad. Bye Mom!" I run out of the kitchen, petting R2 as I leave.

The drive to school was smooth and quiet. I sing along to every song to keep my mind off cheer practice later on but it honestly doesn't help much.

I arrive at school and find a spot closer than where I was yesterday.

I smile triumphantly and glance at the clock. I have twenty minutes before class starts so I pull out my makeup and quickly add some foundation and mascara.