~ Chapter 35 ~

Sunday

The doorbell rings and I leap from the couch.

"I've got it!" I shout, entering the entry room. Swinging open the door, I smile, "Hey! Come in."

Stepping aside, Sterling walks in. "Hey, so what's with your sudden interest in learning to throw a football?"

"That is for me to know and you to find out. Want something to eat?" I ask, walking to the kitchen.

Sterling follows, "Sure."

"I was going to make myself a sandwich, want one?"

"That sounds great." He replies, sitting on a stool at the counter.

I dig around the fridge, grabbing all the goods for a sandwich, placing them on the counter in front of Sterling.

"Take your pick." I say.

"What is this, subway?" He asks, looking at all the stuff on the counter. I follow his gaze and realize I may have gone overboard. I pulled out every kind of meat and cheese we had as well as pretty much every type of vegetable.

I shrug, "I didn't know what you liked in your sandwich."

Sterling laughs as I hand him a plate.

After we make our sandwiches, we head outside and sit on the back porch.

"How's your weekend been?" Sterling asks, taking a bite of his sandwich.

"It's been good, nothing exciting. How about yours?"

"It's been chill."

We both nod, fading into silence as we both ate our food.

"So," Sterling starts, "I was talking to Cash yesterday." I force myself to keep chewing my sandwich and not react as he continues, "And he mentioned about coming over for dinner here."

I am very thankful for having already swallowed when he said that because I probably would've choked if I had food in my mouth.

"He did?" I ask, shocked.

"I am his best friend." He says matter a factly. "He also told me why he was coming over."

I look away, "Oh."

"Did something happen?" Sterling asks, his voice sounding ready for bad news.

"No! Why?" I immediately ask, turning back to Sterling, "Did he say something?"

"We haven't talked since he told me he was coming over which is why I kinda worried. I know what he told you and I know it's a lot to process and then with asking you out on top of all that, I was just, well wondering - "

"How I had taken it?" I finish.

"Yeah."

I turn away from Sterling, looking out to the lake that can be seen through the trees.

"I won't lie and say Cash's story didn't catch me off guard, because it did. I would have never imagined he or his family had gone through such a rough situation, especially not him. He seemed so happy and carefree, joking around and everything."

"He wasn't always like that." Sterling answers.

"He told me." I look down at my lap, hiding my smile.

"What do you think?" Sterling asks.

I look up at him, "Nope, you're not getting anything out of me. Not yet." I jump up, "Now where's that football of yours?"

Louboutin to Ariatजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें