~ Chapter 36 ~

I bounce my leg as I watch the second hand make its way around the clock. Time seems to move even slower as I watch it tick away.

Only five more minutes. I think to myself. Five more rotations of that second hand.

During the third rotation, my phone vibrates, startling me. Glancing down at it sitting in my lap, I hold down on the text notification from Sterling.

'I got out of class early, heading to the field by the cafeteria. See y'all out there.'

My phone instantly starts vibrating with replies from Sue Ellen and Frankie, demanding to know why he was out early and why we were meeting in the field.

I open the conversation and watch it to see if Sterling was going to answer.

"Alright! Class is dismissed."

My eyes snap from my phone and I look up to see that everyone is out of their seat.

Grabbing my bag, I leap from my seat and shove my way to my locker, mumbling apologies.

At my locker, I enter my combination and swing open the door and stuff my books in my locker.

Looking at my cheer bag, I take a deep breath before scanning the halls, making sure Cash wasn't around.

Satisfied with my search, I zip open my bag, grab the ball and stuff it into my backpack. I release a breath I didn't know I was holding as I slam my locker shut.

"Hi." A voice calls out from next to me.

I jump and spin to see Cash leaning against the locker next to mine, an easy smirk on his face.

"Cash!" I gasp.

"Did I scare you?"

I clutch my bag, well aware of the football in it and my need to be careful, "A little."

"Sorry. Let me walk you to lunch." He takes a step towards me.

"Is that supposed to make up for scaring me?" I ask.

"Maybe?" He shrugs shyly.

I laugh, "Lets go."

He falls into step next to me and we walk into the cafeteria. After grabbing our food, we head out to the side lawn.

I spot Sterling and Rhett sitting out in the middle the lawn.

"I wonder what crazy idea they have up their sleeve now." Cash sighs as we step onto the field.

"What do you mean?" I ask, biting my lip and hoping he wouldn't figure out something was up.

"Usually when we are out here is because someone wants to talk about something 'important' and doesn't want the noise of the cafeteria to bother us." He tries to do air quotes while still holding onto his tray of food.

Dang it, Sterling! I think to myself. Why didn't you tell me this!

"Well I think it's nice out here and we should eat our here more often." I say, hoping it eases his suspicion.

He gives a small chuckle, "You probably didn't spend too much time outside during this time back in New York, hu?"

"Nope. If you did, you were bundled up and ready for the freezing cold."

"Would it be snowing yet?" Cash asks, his voice holding a hint of softness.

I tilt my head in thought, "It depends but I don't think its snowing yet right now."

"It's definitely not snowing right now but I would hope both of you knew that." Rhett says.

I look at Rhett to find a confused look on his face.