~ Chapter 40 ~

Looking at my reflection, I take a deep breath and shake my hands out in hopes to calm my nerves.

Both Frankie and Sue are ready to go with their dresses on, hair done, makeup done on Sue and almost finished on Frankie.

Veronica had finished off my makeup and hair a long time ago.

She had curled my hair into giant, messy beach waves that she then gently pulled back into a bun. She left a few strands out, framing my face.

My makeup was dramatic, just like I like it. She did a simple smoky eye with dramatic liner and lashes.

She finished off the look with a maroon lipstick, a color I would never dream of putting on my lips but it looks fantastic.

I hear Veronica begin to pack up, her job done. I know I need to get up off the floor and put my dress on. The boys will be here in about half an hour and I'm sitting on my floor staring at my dress and shoes.

"Liberty?" I hear my mom call out.

"She's in her closet." Sue tells her.

"Thank you." Mom replies, "Your mothers should be here anytime."

"Okay!" The girls reply.

I continue to stare at my dress, even after I know she has come in. We both sit in silence, neither feeling the need to say anything.

"Your hair looks amazing." Mom breaks the silence.

"She did a great job." I answer.

"Can I see your makeup?" She asks.

I smile. Not getting up, I spin around and look up at her.

"You look beautiful." Mom smiles.

I notice slight sadness in her eyes along with pride, mixed in among tears.

"Mom, you can't cry yet." I stand up, wrapping my arms around her.

She takes a deep breath, "I'm trying not to but I'm just so proud of you." She pulls back and looks at me. "Proud of the beautiful young woman you have become. Proud of who you have become in the last few months. I know this move was extremely hard for you but you have dealt with it wonderfully and have become an amazing person for it. You've made some great friends, despite your 'economical status'. You have taught yourself to ignore that and taught them to do the same."

She pauses, blinking back some tears. I do the same, looking towards the ceiling. There was no way I was ruining my makeup, no matter how emotional her words make me feel.

"I was worried about the trip to New York. I thought that it wouldn't be healthy for you and it would only make coming back to Georgia harder than the original move. But it didn't. That shows that you have changed as a person, changed in the best was possible." She finished off, "I love you, Liberty Claire. Your father and I are extremely proud of you."

I wrap her in a hug. "I love you too." I manage to whisper.

After a second or two, we both pull away from the hug, sniffling and wiping our eyes.

"Well, you better finish getting ready." Mom hands me a tissue and I go over to the mirror to clean my eyes. "I imagine the boys will be here soon."

"Okay. I think I need to touch up my eyes, right?" I look at my mom.

"Maybe just the tiniest bit under - "

The sound of the doorbell cuts her off.

Panic is an understatement.