~ Chapter 34 ~

"Those have been pretty much the best two months of my high school years."

I stare at Cash, unsure how to react or what to say. The butterflies in my stomach furiously flutter around.

Feeling the need to say something, I start, "I - "

"Please don't say anything yet." Cash cuts me off, turning back to the lake.

I shut my mouth, trying to figure out where he is going with this and what could have happened in those three high school years that would make him say that.

Cash drops his head and chuckles, "I didn't really think this through, I don't really know were to start - or how to continue."

I squeeze his hand, "The beginning is a good place."

He looks over at me and smiles before looking back out to the lake.

"I graduated eighth grade as starting running back of the football team. I was predicted to be a starter on the JV high school team next year. I was ecstatic. When football tryouts came around," He pauses, "I didn't even make the team."

I hold back my reaction, not wanting to stop him now that he was talking.

"I was devastated. My dad tried to convince me to try out for the frosh team, but my pride wouldn't let me."

For a second, I stop listening, my mind reeling at the fact that his dad came up in this story.

"If I couldn't be on the JV team like I was predicted, then I wouldn't be on any team." He continues, "My dad let me mope around for a little but then encouraged me to keep training. I did, only because he would train with me. When sophomore year came around, I was not only faster but I had filled out and was a better player. When I tried out, I made the team and even earned a starting position. Dad was so proud and so was I. That year was great for me and the team. With me as running back and Sterling as quarterback, we were undefeated.

"The last game of the season, third quarter. We were tied with our rival school who also was undefeated, " His voice softens and grows quieter. I hold my breath, anxious as to what he would say next. "I was on the sidelines, talking to the coach when a scream comes from the crowd. Everyone turns, I'm pretty sure even the players on the field turned. I watch the EMT's rush to the stands. Following them, my eyes land on a sight that I'll never forget."

I watch his eyes glaze over and I feel like someone is squeezing my heart. I scoot closer to him and tighten my grip on his hand, hoping to offer some support.

He squeezes my hand before continuing, "I watched the EMT's lift my dad onto a stretcher. Panic arose in me as I looked between my unconscious father and my mom who was practically in hysterics. It took me a while to process it but as soon as I did, I began running to my mom. I looked back at coach but he motioned for me to go without a second thought. I sprinted to her and she instantly feel into my arms, crying.

"I tried to get an answer as to what happened out of her but she couldn't talk. People around me told me they didn't know what had happened, he had just collapsed. At some point, I convinced my mom to walk to the truck and drive to the hospital. I drove there, my mind reeling at what could have happened to my father. By the time we arrived, my mom's crying had slowed to occasional tears. She kept repeating to herself over and over that he was going to be okay. We walked into the emergency room, wrapped in each others' arms. I sat her in a chair and went over to the counter, asking for my father. The lady looked his name up and then gave me a look that from then on, I would despise seeing; a look of sympathy and pity.

"She gave me the floor and told me to ask the desk at that floor. My mom and I made our way up there, asked at the desk and got told to wait for a doctor to come."