~ Chapter 41 ~

Turning into the emergency center parking lot, Cash mutters angrily as we search for a parking spot.

"Wait." I call out, glancing in the rearview mirror. "That car just pulled out."

Cash glances back, "Dang it. I'm going to have to circle around and pray no one takes it."

I watch the spot as he focuses on circling around and thankfully, by the time he gets there, it is still open.

Parking his truck, he quickly hops out and jogs around, opening the door for me. I've tried telling him that he didn't need to always open the door for me but he won't listen so I've stopped trying.

He offers me his hand and helps me down. Holding onto my hand, he closes the door and leads us to the hospital entrance.

We walk in silence, the only thing filling the air is the rustling of the leaves and my heels against the sidewalk.

I huddle closer to Cash, the breeze picking up. My mom's words of taking a jacket run through my mind as a shiver runs through me.

"Are you cold?" Cash asks, stopping.

"A little but I'll be fine once we get inside." I try and dismiss the subject.

"We both know that's a lie." Cash turns and gently pulls me back towards his truck, "It's freezing in there."

"Cash, I'll be fine." I tell him but it's no use.

Reaching his truck, he opens the door and throws some stuff around before pulling out a plain black hoodie. Unless he has two hoodies that are the same, this is the hoodie is he always wearing.

"I know it doesn't exactly go with the dress but It'll keep you warm." He shrugs and holds it out to me.

Smiling, I take it and carefully pull it over my head, the smell of wood, dirt and apples surrounding me.

I fight the urge to take a deep breath, "I promise I'll give this one back."

He chuckles, "I'd appreciate that since I actually wear this one."

Grabbing my hand, we begin walking back to the hospital.

"You don't wear the other one?" I ask, confused since the other one also smelled like him.

"I did a lot at one point but then I got a new one and that one became back up."

"That makes sense."

Stepping into the hospital, I'm thankful that Cash made me wear the hoodie because I'm pretty sure it's colder in here than it is outside.

We scan the waiting room but there isn't a sign of Betty or Tate so we walk to the counter.

"How can I help you?" The receptionist glances at us over the top of her glasses.

"Hi, we're looking for Tate Williams." Cash tells her.

She nods and types away on her computer, "Looks like he is still in an emergency center room. Room 23. It's down - "

Cash cuts her off, "I know where it is, thank you." Cash nods before walking away.

Before I could ask how he knows where the room is, he speaks up, "Between football injuries, both mine and other player's, work on the farm and having four brothers, I come here a lot."

I laugh lightly, "Who knew being a boy was so dangerous."

"It is in the south but also loads of fun." He smirks and stops in front of the room marked 23.