Chapter 65

'Good people are like candles; they burn themselves up to give others light' - Unknown

***

I woke up feeling really groggy. It had been two weeks since the funeral. Everyday was slightly better and slightly less painful mentally but more painful physically. I could tell my cancer was getting worse as I was feeling sick and tired all the time. It came to a point where I had to use my wheelchair which I never use.

I had a shower and got ready. I wore a pair of jeans and a top with my trainers - my typical everyday outfit. I saw that everyone was in the kitchen eating breakfast. Ariana was going to see her Mum today. Social services got into touch and they were trying to get Ariana back home despite Mum trying to persuade them that there was no need as she was happy here. 

I volunteered to go with her and the social worker, Jean, did not mind really as long as I did not 'disrupt' anything. Mum told me to sit down and she put a plate with two toast in front of me.

"You look really pale, I think we should get you to the hospital to see the doctor," Mum said.

"I'm fine, really," I said.

"Okay, if you're not looking any better this afternoon, then I'll have to take you," she said.

I mumbled an 'okay' as I munched on a piece of toast. Ariana was sat in a blue dress with two ponytails that made her look even more adorable than she already was. There was a knock on the door and we already knew who it was. It was the social worker, Jean.

John went to open the door and he led her to the kitchen. Jean was a chubby lady with bright red cheeks. Her hair was brown and wavy and she was very talkative.

"Do you want a cup of tea, Jean?" Mum asked.

"No, thank you, I've had my daily dose of caffeine, I've hardly had no sleep with all the fireworks going on outside my house," Jean replied.

"Must've been awful," Mum replied.

"You can say that again. Ariana, are you ready to go now?" Jean asked.

Ariana nodded.

"Come on then," Jean said.

Ariana put her plate into the sink and said bye to Mum, Ryan, Lilly and John before she stood next to me. I got up and held her hand. I have to admit that I was pretty nervous with seeing Tyler's mum. If I had a choice then I would never see her again.

I sat in the front of Jean's car because John fitted my wheelchair in the back. Ariana had to sit in the child's seat at the back. Jean began to start driving.

"Sorry to be nosy, but why is it that you have to wear an oxygen mask?" Jean asked.

"Cancer," I replied vaguely.

"Oh, sorry to hear that," she replied.

She continued driving.

"Sorry to be nosy again but are you going through chemo because your hair looks pretty healthy," she said.

"I used to have radiotherapy," I said.

"Oh, why are you still needing the oxygen tank then?" She asked.

"Because it wasn't effective, okay!" I snapped.

She looked shocked. I felt guilty for being so horrible.

"Sorry," I replied.

"It's my fault for being so bloody nosy," she said.

We arrived at Tyler's house and I sat on the wheelchair. Jean offered to push the wheelchair and I accepted. I could push it on my own but I was too tired and lazy to do anything.