Chapter 51

"I may not be your first love, first kiss, first sight or first date but I just want to be your last everything," - Unknown.

***

I tried my best to open my eyes but they were closed as if they had been drilled that way. Using all my efforts, I managed to open my eyes a tiny bit but the immense amount of light that I saw made me close them again.

"She opened her eyes," I heard someone say. The voice sounded unfamiliar.

What does she mean? I was so confused that I made another attempt to open my eyes. This time it was a little easier. When I saw the bright light, I fought through it and continued keeping my eyes opened slightly.

I saw a white wall above me. It wasn't my room that I was in. My room had 5 stars engraved on the ceiling. Each stood for me, Mum, Dad, Ryan and Lilly. Dad put them on my ceiling just before Lilly was born. I don't remember him doing that because I was a baby myself but Mum told me. They glowed up at night.

This ceiling was clear of the stars so it wasn't my room. I tried to retrace my steps but my mind was blank. Then I remembered. I remembered the doctor telling me and Mum that I wasn't going to make it. Just the thought made me stir.

I tried to get up but I couldn't my limbs were heavy and I had a bad headache that throbbed like mad.

"Stay still Alexa, it's me Dr Ray, you've been in an accident and you're in hospital," he said.

I wanted to speak but my throat was aching from the dryness. I wanted to move but my limbs felt so heavy so I just stuck with keeping my eyes open. Accident? What is he talking about? I wanted to ask but I couldn't.

Dr Ray told me he was doing some checks like put a light to my eyes which wasn't that bad. He continued with the checks and I fell back to sleep.

When I woke up, my limbs didn't feel as heavy as they did before but it was still a bit of a struggle to sit upright but I managed. In doing this, Tyler woke up. He was asleep, on the bed but he yawned.

"It's my turn now, get lost Mum, just look after Ari," he mumbled out.

I saw him jump up and he noticed that he wasn't talking to anyone.

"Mum?" He asked in a vulnerable voice.

I saw him move his head rapidly towards my direction.

"Holy shit, you're awake," he croaked out.

That's when I saw Tyler do something I never saw him do before.

He began to cry.

Tears rolled down his face as his sobs filled the empty room. He looked down and his shoulders move up then down every time a sob escaped his lips. I reached out and held his hands and squeezed it. I wanted to talk but I couldn't. My heart broke just looking at him.

"On that day, when I found you, you were on the floor with pieces of glass stuck to you everywhere and there was so much blood and I thought I was going to lose you because you looked so bad," he said, his voice cracking.

I squeezed his hand.

"And when they said you were going to be okay, I felt so relieved but then the doctor told me that the cancer is not going and you're going to die and my heart broke again because I can't live without you Lex," he said before he erupted crying.

A sob escaped my lips and my throat felt like it was burning but I couldn't help it. I cried and let everything out as Tyler came to me and he held me, resting me on his shoulder as he cried too. And that's when I finally spoke.