Chapter 25

The doctor came and carried out some tests like a CT scan and an X-ray. Mum had come back and she stayed with me. Lilly and John went home because Lilly had school and John had to go work. Kylie went to school as well.

"The scans showed us that the tumour in your lungs have grown so much in such little time. I think we should start the radiotherapy right away. I do have good news though, the tumour has not come back to your brain," Dr Ray said.

"You want to start the radiotherapy now?" I asked.

"Yes, and also I wanted to say because of the large amount of tumour in your lungs, it has affected your lungs so that they're not working as well as they should so you're highly likely unable to breathe without the oxygen going into you," he said.

I was shocked.

"So, I can't breathe whatsoever without it?" I asked.

"You would probably be able to breathe however it'd be very limited and only for like five minutes," he said.

I felt sad about the fact that I completely relying on the oxygen supply. Mum embraced me into a hug and kissed my head.

"I'm hoping that we could start the first session of radiotherapy now," he said.

"Okay," I said.

"Just come with me," he said.

I stood up and I had to take the oxygen supply with me. It was attached to a long metal thing with wheels on the bottom. I held it and wheeled it out with me. Mum and I followed him until he stopped in front of a room. He told Mum she'd have to wait outside. The doctor and I went inside. There was a huge table in the centre with a machine sort of thing surrounding it.

"Normally, we would get the patient to remove their upper clothing-," he said before I cut him off.

"Excuse me, I'm not exposing myself," I gasped.

"You never let me finish, I was going to say that you should pull up your top as much as you want to because it'd be more effective that way but if you don't want to then you can leave your clothes as they are," he said.

I put the metal trolley thing close to the bed and I lay down on the table and pulled up the hospital gown I was wearing to just beneath my chest so that I wasn't showing anything. The doctor then called in a lady who I'm guessing knew how to use the machine. She instructed me to hold onto a handle above my head before she started.

I closed my eyes the entire time. After what felt like ages, we had finished.

"Okay, we've done," she said.

I got up off slowly off the bed.

"You'll probably get some of the side effects that the doctor should have told you about," she said.

"Okay, thanks," I said.

She smiled at me and called the doctor back in. He told me to follow him and we went back to the room I was staying in where Mum was waiting.

"Alexa can go home now, have you bought any spare clothes for her?" He asked.

"No, I'll get Lilly to bring some over," Mum said.

"Alright, when she does get your clothes Alexa, get changed and I'll get a nurse to get an oxygen tank fitted to you," he said.

"What do you mean fitted to me?" I asked.

"She'll let you choose a bag to put the tank in so that you can either wear it on your bag and there'll be wheels on the bottom and I handle you can pull out so you can drag it along," he said.