Chapter 57

'People do not die from suicide, they die from sadness' - Unknown.

***

Everything was going well. Or so I thought it was until now.

"Tyler," I screamed as he fell to the floor.

His body shook repeatedly until it just stopped and he lay there unconscious. No one was home, it was just us. As the tears dripped down my face, I grabbed the phone and dialled '999' and asked for the ambulance service, still in shock.

"Hello, how can I help you?" Someone replied.

"My boyfriend just collapsed, he was sort of fitting before, I don't kn..know what happened," I stuttered, my voice thick with emotions.

"Calm down miss, I'm going to try and help you," she said.

"Please," I replied, desperately.

"What's your name?" She asked.

"Alexa," I replied.

"Okay Alexa, I'm Amy, can you tell me your boyfriends name and check if he's breathing?" Amy asked.

"Tyler, his name's Tyler... oh god..he's not breathing!" I shrieked.

"Okay calm down please, I'm going to help you and the ambulance are on their way. Can you perform CPR?" She asked.

"No," I replied in panic.

"Okay, I want you to check for a pulse, the ambulance are already on their way but I'm going to talk you through how to perform CPR," she said.

I put the phone on the floor and put it on speaker. Checking the side of his neck, I felt a weak throb.

"He's got a pulse but it's really we-weak," I stuttered.

"Okay good, now I want you to perform CPR, put your hands in the middle of Tyler's chest, one on top of the other, and use your body's weight to give the compression, push into the chest firmly and do this thirty times, can you count these out to me?" She asked.

"Okay, I'm in the position," I said before doing as she instructed and counting them out.

I reached to thirty, awaiting for the next instructions.

"Now, I want you to open his mouth using his chin and pinch his nose, okay?" She asked.

"Okay," I said.

"Now, cover his mouth completely with yours and blow twice and see if his chest rises," she said.

I followed her instructions.

"Yes he did rise," I said in hope that it was working.

"Now continue the process again and count to thirty for me, you're doing great Alexa," she said.

I continued pumping his chest and then in came the paramedics and they took over.

"Okay thank you so much, the paramedics are here now," I said in gratitude.

"Alright, take care now, goodbye," Amy said before the call ended.

I felt the emotions hit me again as the paramedics carried out CPR in a more confident way than I did.

"He's breathing now but very weakly," one of the paramedics said.

I felt slightly relieved.

"What's his name?" The paramedic asked.

"Tyler," I replied.

"Okay, Tyler can you hear me?" He asked.

There was no response from Tyler.

"He just collapsed and started to shake, I don't know what happened," I said to the paramedic, my voice cracking.

"Well done for following the CPR effectively, he would've been gone if you never," the paramedic said.

I felt a bit better than I did before. They put him on a stretcher and took him inside the ambulance. I sat on the seat next to him and stroked his hair as I whispered 'please be alright' repeatedly in hope it'd work.

The sirens blared as the ambulance moved towards the hospital in a fast pace. I was scared. Scared for Tyler. Please be okay. When the ambulance arrived at the hospital, the paramedics took him out and I followed them as they moved at a quick pace.

They saw the doctors and communicated in jargon between each other which meant that I did not understand a word of what they were saying. The doctors then shifted Tyler onto a separate bed and wheeled him inside a room. I was following until a nurse stopped me.

"Sorry, you have to wait outside," she said.

I sat down on the chair provided. My body wouldn't stop shaking so I stood up and paced up and down the corridors. I felt hands touch my shoulders which caused me to suddenly stop. I turned around to see Dr Ray.

"Hey, I was just going to send out a letter to tell you that the dates of your checkup is next week, what are you doing here anyways?" he asked.

"Tyler," I managed to say before sobbing.

Dr Ray put his arm around me.

"Is he in there?" He asked, pointing at a room.

"Yeah," I said.

"I'll go check what's happening," he said.

"You can't go in there, the nurse said to wait outside," I said.

"I think I can work my way around that," he said, pointing at his doctor's badge on his trousers.

Dr Ray went inside the room. I should've called Mum to let her know where I was. Or even someone, anyone. I sent Mum a text. There's no point in contacting Tyler's mum. She wouldn't care.

Dr Ray came out.

"Okay, so we've managed to stabilise him and he should hopefully wake up soon, they're not exactly sure what's happened but we'll get a clearer idea once we've run some tests, you can sit with him for now," Dr Ray said.

"Thank you," I said, gratefully.

I apprehensively walked into the room. The nurses and doctors were still fiddling around with the tubes going into him before they adjusted him to a machine and left. I walked to the chair and pulled it so that it was right besides him.

Tyler looked so peaceful. Just like he was sleeping, if we ignored the massive mask covering his nose and mouth that gave him oxygen. I held his hand and ran my fingers gently along the tattoo on his wrist.

Hours went by and I stayed besides him, not letting go of his hand. I was sure to doze off but I felt Tyler squeeze my hand which alerted me and stopped me from drifting off.

"Tyler?" I called out.

His other hand lifted to his oxygen mask and he removed it.

"Alexa?" He managed to get out.

I bursted out in tears and hugged onto him. Dr Ray came into the room and he had a piece of paper on him.

"Ah Tyler, I'll get the nurse down to run some checks now you're awake but I've been looking at your medical records and it states that you're aware of the condition you have, is that right?" Dr Ray said.

"Yeah," Tyler responded.

What are they talking about? Condition? What condition? Tyler hasn't told me anything about any condition that he might have. What's happening? I was in complete shock as I looked at Tyler in a confused way but he averted eye contact and looked at the doctor.

"Can we talk later?" Tyler asked the doctor.

"Sure," Dr Ray left.

I looked at Tyler waiting for some answers, still praying that he's okay.

"We need to talk," he said.

________________________________

I need someone to talk to. Someone that I can ring on Snapchat maybe just to talk and let everything out.