Chapter 48

'She was a storm. Not the kind you run from. The kind you chase' - Unknown.

***

It was nearly the end of my stay at the hospital. I was doing pretty fine. I just kept Belle out of my mind by keeping myself occupied. Hannah already said to me that I didn't know how it felt like because I hardly knew Belle. She was saying I don't understand and yelling at me the day after Belle died. She hasn't talked to me since then.

I remember the conversation clearly when I entered her room.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"You wouldn't understand how I feel like," she sniffled.

"I do, I feel sad too," I said.

"You never knew her, okay? So stop acting like you did, you've only been here for what, a few days? Get lost, I don't want to talk to you and don't come back!" She yelled.

"Sorry," I muttered, leaving her room.

Dr Ray entered the room distracting me out of my thoughts.

"You'll get your results tomorrow," he said.

"Cool," I said.

"Excited for going home?" He's asking.

"I miss my bed a lot," I said.

He laughed at my comment before leaving. The radiotherapy sessions were making me feel tired all the time and I was sleeping pretty much all the time. Even when Mum and everyone came over, I was fast asleep. 

"I'm glad I've come when you're awake," I heard Mum say.

I looked up and saw Mum, Kylie and Ryan entering the room. I gave her a huge smile. I was so happy to see them, including my annoying brother. I hugged them all before they sat down.

Mum looked like she was going to cry.

"What's wrong Mum?" I asked.

"You've gotten so thin, I can see all of your bones sticking out," she said.

"It's probably because the food here is awful," Ryan said.

"Shall we go to the hospital canteen to see if there's anything you'd like?" She asked.

I wasn't too keen on the idea but Mum looked really upset and concerned.

"Alright," I said.

I tried getting out of bed even though it took me every effort to do this. I stood up and tried walking towards the wheelchair which was on the other side of the room but I collapsed on the floor after a couple of steps.

Ryan rushed to me and picked me up and placed me back on the bed. I groaned in pain. Everything was hurting. Every part of me was in so much pain. I rolled around on the bed, wishing the pain would fade but it wouldn't.

I saw Dr Ray come in and he injected something into the IV bag which I'm guessing was morphine. As soon as it entered my bloodstream, I felt the pain slowly leave me and I could concentrate and focus much better. I sat up on the bed.

"I can't do it anymore," I said.

"Do what?" Dr Ray asked.

"The radiotherapy," I said.

"Your last radiotherapy was this morning anyways so you don't have to continue it for now," he said.

"Thank god," I said.

Ryan bought the wheelchair towards me and I sat inside it.

"Where are you going?" Dr Ray asked.