Chapter 50

'I draw with silver and it turns red. Magic,' - Unknown.

(Disclaimer: this chapter may contain graphical scenes that could potentially trigger some readers)
***

I woke up and yawned as I rolled over and tumbled onto the floor, making the oxygen mask that I wore at night, coming off me. I shot up and went to my backpack and put on the tubes.

The last thing I remember about last night was dancing with Tyler. After that, it's all a blur. I was still in my prom dress so I picked out an outfit from my wardrobe and got changed. I put on a black skirt with a cropped white top.

I went downstairs.

"Eat your breakfast, we only have 20 minutes till your appointment," she said.

"Appointment?" I asked.

"You know to get your results?" She said.

"Oh yeah,"I said.

I ate an apple because Mum said that we were going to be running late so it's much quicker if I ate that. I grabbed a £20 note from my wallet and shoved it in my pocket as we headed out.

Mum seemed extremely nervous whereas I felt quite positive and I was more relaxed. I mean, I feel physically better than I did a few weeks ago. I can feel my body getting stronger so that's a sign it worked.

"You know it's all going to be all right," I said.

"Yeah," she muttered out.

When we arrived at the hospital, a nurse escorted us to Dr Ray's office. We sat down whilst he had the scan results in his hands.

"Morning," He said.

"Morning," Mum and I synchronised.

Mum held my hands under the table. I felt that her hands were clammy which must be because she's feeling so nervous. I squeezed it to reassure her everything would be alright.

"Okay, so there are times were radiotherapy is proven to be successful and it gets rid of the cancer without failure, however there are other times were it fails to do that and it doesn't work," he said.

I felt Mum's grip on my hands tighten.

"I'm truly sorry to say that in this case the radiotherapy has been unsuccessful and the cancer has not decreased but multiplied so we'd have to stop your treatment," he said.

What was he saying? I didn't understand. My breath quickened as Mum asked the question I was thinking.

"Are you saying she's going to die?" Mum croaked out.

"I'm sorry but yes," he said.

As soon as he confirmed that my life was coming to an end, I shot up and put on my rucksack and shotted out the door like a cheetah running away from its predator. I've never ran faster in my life before. It wasn't healthy for me to run but what's the point anymore?

I heard Mum shouting me but I'm not going back. I can't. I ran as quick as I have ever done in my life. About 10 minutes of running and my legs were in excruciating pain but I couldn't stop. Not yet.

I finally reached home and no one was in. Not Lilly or Ryan. Not even John. I went to the bathroom and locked the door. I felt too much pain inside me. It wasn't physical pain but the emotional pain that I was going to die.