Forty Six

"Mum!" I shouted from my bedroom, whilst Rockstar by Post Malone played softly from my speakers. My mother swiftly came running in with her wispy brown hair falling around her thinning face. She was still beautiful even after the years had etched their way into her skin. Dad used to say I got my good-looks from her.

"Yes, my angel?"

"I can't tie this damn bow-tie, can you help me?" A smile soon spread across her lips, one of pure joy. These past few years, I'd been so stubborn, closed-minded and distant from my family; for me now asking for her help was an indication that I wasn't all as independent as I put across. I'd always been her little boy, so this was a special moment for her to cherish her status as my mother.

Slowly, Mum walked closer to me and hooked her hands on the black material hanging from my neck. She fiddled until she was satisfied and her white teeth seemed to glow under the evening sun cascading through my window. "You look so handsome, Zakary."

"Thank you, Mum."

"I'm so proud of you." I could see a small tear slip down her cheek and my thumb instantly went to wipe it away.

"What do you mean?"

"You've really come to accept yourself, my love. These last few years have been so tough on you, but you fought through, and look at you now - shining brighter than a star. You are beautiful, and strong, and perfectly imperfect, and I love you more than anything. Don't ever forget that." It certainly was my turn to cry. I had been such a dick - bullying people, cheating and lying. Now, I was so happy and genuinely a changed person because I finally accepted myself after so long. I had found love, laughter and, most importantly, life in those around me, something I never thought possible before. It was like I'd finally reached the light at the end of the tunnel, and, holy fuck, it felt good.

I took one last glance in the mirror. Fitted to me was a classic black tuxedo that made me look like a teenage James Bond minus the Aston Martin. If only I had a hand gun, then I'd be a proper bad-ass.

Skai texted me asking if I was setting off soon, which I was. I was meant to be picking her up from her house to take her to prom. I wished I was picking up Finn instead. Quickly, trying not to test my girlfriend's patience, I kissed Mum on the cheek to say goodbye, as well as man-hug Dad on the way out the door, each of them saying they hoped I had a good night.

Getting into my beat-down car, I started the engine and was soon on my way to Skai's.

Once I had arrived at my girlfriend's house, I gently tapped on the front door, where her mum rushed over to greet me. "Oh, Zak! You look wonderful! Please, come in."

I smiled as I entered, Mr. Kelly being quick to shake my hand in the hallway. The house was decorated in dark furniture that matched the chocolate-coloured wood used to frame the doorways. Picture frames were hung all over the room, mainly presenting photos of my girlfriend. She really was beautiful, just, sadly, not my type.

"She'll be down in a minute," Mr. Kelly informed me, though was interupted by the clicking of heels popping down the stairs. I looked up to see Skai wearing a champagne figure-hugging dress. It sparkled under the light and flowed at her knee. Her blonde hair was curled and pinned at the back of her head and her makeup was glossy yet natural looking. She was stunning.

"Wow, you look gorgeous, babe," I lulled, this time, not lying at all.

"Thank you, you look pretty good yourself."

Her parents insisted they got some photos of us together, which I tried to decline but was instantly shot down. I positioned myself beside Skai, my arm resting around her waist. She turned so that her bum stuck out, but somehow managed to do so quite elegantly. We smiled and her dad took the photo, and another, and another. My cheeks were killing me after he was done.