Nine

"Okayy... and what's that?" She'd better be about to say what I think she's about to say. 'Sorry, Zak, but things aren't really working between us. I think we should break up', I ran it through my head like my favourite song. But, of course, I'm not that lucky.

"I bought my prom dress."

Now I'm not all that religious, but I swear there is someone up there purposely trying to push my buttons and make my life Hell.

"Oh... right. That's nice." I suprised myself with how disappointed I sounded.

"You don't seem bothered? Are you alright, apple pie?" The nicknames really weren't helping my pessimistic mood.

"I am. Just... I still haven't decided if I'm going to prom yet." She looked genuinely hurt. Had I screwed up? Of course, I had. My name is Zakary Peters for Christ's sake, I'm the king of screwing up.

"Do you not... want to go together?" Skai's eyes were glassy and her bottom lip quivered.

"No, no, no, of course I do. It's just I think it's a bit of a waste of time and effort," I shrugged.

"You were saying the complete opposite when you won Prom King last year." It was true, I wasn't one for modesty. In fact, I'd shoved the crown in all of the runner-ups' faces, and quite literally so. Hey, I'm confident and some people find that quality attractive, from what I've read on the internet.

"Whatever. I've changed, I guess." Lies, the voice in my head taunted.

"Okay, well, do you want to go or not?" Skai asked, her hot pink acrylic nails tapping on the dark oak table.

Luckily, the waiter arrived to take our orders before the tense atmosphere grew any more awkward. "Hello, do you two lovers know what you'd like this evening?" He smiled warmly. I inwardly cringed at his use of the word 'lovers'. I seriously need to stop complaining about being in a relationship with Skai Kelly so much. I mean, almost every guy in my school would die to be in my position, so why do I feel so disguisted by her and her body? Maybe I'm just too wound up in my football matches at the moment and it'll pass. It could just be stress. I passed off the thought, as Skai and the waiter looked at me expectantly.

"The macaroni and cheese burger, please," I ordered.

"Excellent. I'll bring those to you as soon as possible," the waiter said, then tottered off into the kitchen.

"Is something bothering you, sugar?" Skai questioned, eyeing me curiously.

"Nope, I'm absolutely fine." Even I didn't believe myself.

"You are literally the worst liar ever."

"I know," I sighed.

"Tell me what's wrong or I'll tell everyone at school you knocked up Casey Sinclair," she threatened.

"You wouldn't."

"Oh, I would, now spill."

"Ugh, okayyy. Erm... I'm just really nervous about... us doing it?" Fortunately, she believed me that time as he gaze softened and a small smile replaced her stern frown.

"Aw, bunny, it's alright. I'm nervous, too, but we love each other, right? It'll happen on its own, don't force it, m'kay?" Skai comforted, though it didn't help in the slightest.

"Okay," I sighed.

"Alright, now, I need you to tell me something," she purred, grazing her fake nails over my hand.

"....which is?" This couldn't be good.

"Tell me you love me." She pulled back her hand to prop up her head. Her stare was serious and determined, peering into my soul. I went to say those three words. I love you. It wasn't hard, yet I found myself choking over them. My mouth felt dry and a lump formed at the back of my throat. "Say it."