Ten

It was Sunday afternoon. My parents were holding a family barbecue in the backyard. I was sat in the corner of the decking on a white plastic chair with a cup of lemonade in one hand. Bobby was running around the garden with my Uncle James, Georgie's father. Speaking of whom, she wasn't here just yet. She was coming with a friend of her's, who was going to drive her or whatever. She failed to mention who this friend was, telling me it was 'a suprise'. Whatever. I'm sure they're just some boring-ass girl that she found at some park somewhere.

"Zak, go help your mother with the potato salad!" Dad ordered, pointing inside the kitchen. Sighing, I got up out my seat and went inside the house.

"Dad told me to come help you," I huffed to my mother.

"Ah, right, yes, go chop up the potatoes for me and I'll sort the desserts," Mum said, looking rather flustered might I add. I began cutting up the desired vegetables beside her, growing bored rather quickly.

"Is Georgina here yet?" She asked.

"Georgie," I corrected, "she hates being called Georgina. And no, she's not."

"Oh, isn't she bringing a friend or something?"

"Yeah, I don't know who, though."

"Oh, I see. Well, she'll better get here soon, I think your dad's almost finished cooking the steaks."

I finished up chopping the last of the potatoes, pouring them into a large bowl. "What should I do now?" I enquired.

"Erm... stir that pan for me. Make sure the sauce doesn't stick to the bottom," Mum said, directing me over to a sizzling concoction sat above the stove.

I began shuffling the sauce around the pan with a wooden spoon. Mum disappeared off in the garden somewhere, probably to mingle with her brothers and sisters.

"What's cooking, good looking?" The familar chirpy voice of my cousin asked.

"Hey, Georgie!" I smiled, wrapping her in my arms. "Glad you could make it!"

"Yeah. My friend's just gone up to use your bathroom, I'm sure you don't mind."

"No, not at all. As long as she's pretty, that's fine," I chuckled.

"Erm... actually..." But before she could finish her sentence, my Auntie Louise came over and squeezed her unforgivingly.

"Georgina, darling, how are you? It's been ages!" She gasped.

"Hi, Auntie Louise, I'm good. You?" Georgie smiled.

"I'm wonderful. We were just talking about you in the garden, saying how much you've grown, unlike this one who's still as mature as a two-year-old," Louise laughed, jutting a thumb in my direction.

"Hey!" I pouted.

"My point exactly. C'mon, dear, everyone's out back." Louise directed Georgie out into the garden, joking and giggling along the way. I turned back to the sauce I was supposed to be stirring, which I noticed to be bubbly a bit excessively now.

"Ooh, shit," I muttered, only loud enough for me to hear, as I turned down the heat of the hob slightly.

"And he cooks too." Nope. Nope. No way. That is not who I think it is. I snapped my head up to meet the mysterious voice coming from the other side of the kitchen.

"What the hell are you doing here?" I sneered.

"The same as you, attending a barbecue. Now, do you want some help before you burn the house down?" Finley chuckled.

"I guess a little help won't hurt," I shrugged.

"Only you could mess up from just stirring a goddamn sauce," he joked, to which I stuck up my middle finger at him. I guess I'm kind of lucky he's blind.