Five

The football stormed up the pitch under the control of Matt, the team captain. We'd been practicing for almost an hour, and had yet to score a goal. I sprinted up alongside him, in attempt to offer a right-hand man in case of an emergency where the opposing team tackled the ball. We'd gotten a couple of guys from another school's team to come practise with us to give us a more realistic match.

Matt directed the ball closer to the goal. The opposing defense tried blocking him, but before they could tackled, Matt cast the ball over to me. I dribbled it for a couple of yards, steadying my aim ever-so-slightly. The goal keeper spread his arms, preparing to save the ball from my ineveitable kick. The closer I got, the stronger I became. A rough growl escaped my lips, as I whacked the football into the net, brushing the fingertips of the keeper.

Cheers erupted from my fellow teammates, before I'd even registered the fact that I'd just scored a point for my team. "That was amazing, Zak!" Matt cried, thumping my shoulder blades to congratulate me.

"Thanks, man." The rest of my team galloped over to me, howling and bellowing.

"Zak, you're such a legend!" Brendon hooted. A what felt like permanent grin etched itself on my lips. Members of the other team congratulated me, too, patting me on the back far more gently that Matt had done previously.

Once our practise match was over and won, the boys and I stormed into the showers. The coach told us we did a great job, and if we kept playing like that we'd win the county cup for sure. He personally congratulated me too, saying my shot was, and I quote, 'nothing short of amazing'. It pleased me to know that I pleased him. His standards in football were higher than Skai's heels on a Saturday night, so earning his respect was really an achievement for me.

The guys and I poured into the showers like workers in a factory. Hot water kissed my skin, cleansing my lungs with freshness. Sam, from my detention earlier that week, opted for the shower beside me.

Sam was a rather muscular guy, but it looked natural and from actual outdoor exertion. His dark locks were wet from the shower, and they clumped together perfectly against his forehead. Water trickled down his defined stomach muscle, tracing every gorgeous dip in his skin effortlessly. His rusty eyes looked even darker under the shower head, giving him a new level of masculinity which was making it difficult for me to maintain my composure.

I didn't know what was happening to me anymore. I shouldn't be checking out naked guys. I shouldn't be feeling this peculiar sensation in the pit of my stomach. I shouldn't have to blush whenever I saw any of the possibly better-looking boys looking my way. This wasn't right. I liked girls. I liked girls, and only girls.

"Erm... Zak, bro, are you alright? You... uh... you've got a bit of a... problem... there," Sam said awkwardly, nodding his head at my crotch. I gazed down, realising how much showering with all these boys was affecting me.

My cheeks burned. "Holy fuck. I... I... oh my god!" I cursed, storming out of the showers. I grabbed a towel on my way out, wrapping it around my waist tightly. How was that even possible? If I liked girls, then why was I getting a raging boner in front of all these goddamn boys.

I hadn't realized that Sam had followed me out, so when he called my name, I nearly jumped out of my skin. "Zak, wait a sec!" I turned to face him. He had a towel around his waist, too, but his fit much more loosely.

"What?" I snarled, venom seething through my teeth.

"Just, hear me out. I totally understand, dude, and I totally accept it. If you're gay, that's cool. A little unexpected, but cool nonetheless." His words were like a full-body massage after a stressful day at work, yet I refused to believe him.