Seventeen

Steph was quick to arrive. She opened the car door for me, as I lowered Finn's virtually lifeless body into the backseats. He was concious now, but his eyes were heavy and his breaths were shaky. I sat beside him in the car, his head resting on my lap. I tried to ignore the voice in my head that was screaming at how close he was to my crotch, and let a few fingers slip through his clotted lumps of hair.

"So your friends beat him up for being gay and blind?" Steph asked, for the thousanth time in the last five minutes.

"Yes, do I need to repeat myself anymore?" I huffed.

"Zak, don't start with me. You're the one with the shitty-arse friends. I mean, who does that? I spoke to Finley at the barbacue and he seemed like such a lovely lad."

"He is a lovely lad," I assured.

"Then your friends are absolute cockheads!" She barked.

"Yes, I know. Old news, Steph."

"Why are you still friends with them? They're absolutely disgusting!"

"'Coz I've got no one else. Everyone else hates me for being a stuck up bitch, which I low-key am," I sighed.

"Well, go off with Georgie and her friends. They're nice people."

"Can we not discuss this now? I just wanna focus on Finn."

"Okay, okay. We're almost home. Mum and Dad won't be back for a while so at least you won't have them on your tail," she shrugged.

I looked down at Finley. He was smiling, despite the obvious pain he was enduring. Even in his worst moments, he's always able to show resilience. I truly do admire him for that. I'm not even half as brave as him. I couldn't deal with all the shit he gets thrown at him 24/7.

"How ya' feeling, Finn?" I hummed, caressing his cheek delicately.

"Sore, but it's not too bad," he replied weakly.

"I'm so sorry about those douchebags. I'll go and sort them out, don't you worry."

"Thanks, Zak," he breathed.

"Anytime, lovely."

After a further five minutes, we arrived home. I carried Finn bridal-style out the car and into the empty house, before setting him down on the kitchen worktop. "Steph, have we got any antibacterial spray?" I asked.

"Um... I'll go check." My older sister scurried off in search of the first aid kit, leaving Finn and myself alone. I stood inbetween his thighs, stroking the injuries with great care. He jerked away from the sudden contact at first, but soon leaned into the sweet caress of my fingertips.

"Zak?"

"Mmh?" I replied, looking fondly into those beautifully blue eyes.

"Thank you."

"For what?"

"Everything."

"I think you'll find I've been a complete arse to you," I laughed solemnly.

"No, you haven't. You've stuck up for me, taken responsibility for me, made me feel fucking human for once. So thank you." Hearing those words made my heart swell. Throughout my entire life, people have only treated me like the IT boy. The boy with the perfect life. The boy who'll steal your girlfriend. The boy who has no real emotions and just copies everyone else. I pretend to like girls, for crying out loud. My life is just one fake mess. But Finn just made me feel like I was special, like I wasn't just another face in the crowd.

I didn't notice myself leaning in.

I didn't notice my fingers trace the younger boy's lips.

I didn't notice Finn flutter his eyes closed.