Twenty Seven

After gulping down the last of my coffee, Finn and I headed off. We leapt in my run-down silver car, instantly reaching for the music. 'Ocean Eyes' by Billie Eilish started playing, much to Finley's enjoyment. It wasn't exactly my cup of tea but whatever.

"Where are we even going?" Finn asked, as I pulled out of my parking spot.

"The beach?" I suggested. It was the first thing that came to my head that didn't require buying a ticket or proof of age.

Finn snorted incredulously. "There aren't any beaches near here, dipshit."

"So? Let's drive to one. Fancy a visit to Blackpool?"

"We can't go to Blackpool. It's, like, fifty miles away."

"Finnnn, come onnnn! Don't be a spoil sport!" I whined.

"I'm not, I'm just being sensible."

"No, you're being boring."

"And you're being ridiculously impulsive. We don't have enough time."

"Look, it's half eight in the morning. We have until quarter to four until your parents are expecting you home. That gives us just over seven hours to drive their, walk along the promenade, build a sandcastle, buy fish and chips, then drive home. That's plenty of time." I could tell he was considering it, given his tapping fingernails and the way he nibbled at his bottom lip.

"I can't believe I'm agreeing to this but fine," he huffed reluctantly.

"Yes!" And we were on our way.

We arrived about an hour later, give or take. To our luck, the rush hour traffic on the motorway wasn't too bad, so we were able to get there in a reasonable time. I parked the car up, paid the fee to leave it for five hours, and we began our walk along the beach.

The air was cool, not warm, not cold. Aggressive gusts of winds swept between our bodies, linked by the hands. I had my hood pulled over my loose curls, my free hand dug deep in the pockets of my trackies (sweatpants). Finn rested his head in the crook of my neck. "It's so cold," he uttered, just barely audible over the breeze.

"It's not that bad," I shrugged. "And no, I'm not giving you my hoodie. I'm not that much of a gentleman."

"I never said you were," he smirked.

The beach was vacant aside from us, so I had no problem showing affection towards him. I stepped in front, taking both of his hands in mine, and kissed the tip of his nose. "What was that for?"

"Well, am I not allowed to kiss you?"

"You're allowed to do that, and much more," he flirted, lowly.

"And I intend to," I purred, before locking our lips together messily.

We stood there kissing for several moments, savouring the exchange. Finn regretfully broke away first. "So what else have you planned for our little adventure?"

"Umm.... Sandcastles!" I shrieked, jerking away from Finn's hold. He laughed when I dived to my knees and started digging away at the ground. He soon sat down, too.

"We don't even have a bucket and spade," he sighed.

"So? I'll build a sandmountain instead." And so I did. It took less than five minutes for me to stand up and claim my completion. Finn got up and laughed.

"Thought of any names for it?"

"Yes, I have actually... Zinn, as in Zak and Finn. Cute, i'nit?" A puff of air escaped his lips.