Twenty

A/N: I'm so excited for this chapter you have no idea😍!!

Finley's house was pretty standard looking when I glanced up from the driveway. He'd texted his address to me half an hour prior to my arrival so I wouldn't get lost in the suburban streets of Manchester. I expected him to live somewhere kind of pretencious, but, if I'm honest, it was no more fancier than my own home.

Sure, there was a delicate rose garden leading up to the front door and a neatly trimmed yard, where my own house had a few weeds spirting from underneath some concrete slabs, but there was nothing special. From the outside, everything looked pretty... normal.

I tapped on the door gently. A middle-aged woman with ash blonde hair falling to her shoulders and friendly grey eyes answered. A warm smile slipped across her lips, showing off her obnoxiously straight teeth. "Hello, can I help you?"

"I'm Zak, Finn's friend," I replied.

"Ohhhh, right. The friend he's been talking about non-stop?" She chuckled.

"I should hope so," I laughed. A warm sensation bubbled in my chest, knowing Finley spoke about me when I wasn't around. It was strange feeling, yet comforting at the same time.

"Haha. I'm Christine, Finley's mum. Would you like to come inside? Finn's just upstairs getting dressed. He won't be a minute." Christine opened the door further, ushering me inside. Venturing into the living room, I smiled. A man (probably slightly older than Christine) sat mechanically on the sofa with a newspaper in his hands, his cold blue eyes never leaving the print. I sat opposite him and he glanced up to meet my gaze.

"Oh... you must be Zakary?" He greeted, a grin soon beaming through his thin lips.

"Yes, I am," I responded.

"It's nice to meet you, finally. I've heard so much about you," the man exclaimed, setting the newspaper down on the coffee table. "I'm Jonathan, Finley's dad."

"It's nice to meet you, too, sir."

"I'm assuming you and Finn have plans, yes?"

"Mhm," I nodded. "We're going to the park."

"Well, have fun. Take care of him, will you? He'll never say if he's struggling, so check up on him often and don't ever leave him on his own."

"Of course. He's a determined one, aye?" I chuckled.

"Definitely a trooper," Jonathan shrugged. "Ever since the accident, he's always tried to keep up with everyone. He wants to be just like them, though he doesn't show it. Can I trust you to make him feel human? I think he forgets that sometimes."

It stung. To know Finley felt like he was 'weird' and 'strange' hurt. I wanted him to know that he was nothing but special in his own wonderful way. That he was just like everyone else and more. I don't know. I barely knew him yet I felt like my body craved for him to feel happy and content. Weird, huh?

"Yes, of course. Finley's is an amazing lad. He definitely deserves to feel like he isn't some sort of freak-of-nature. I will personally see to boosting his self-confidence," I smiled.

"Thank you, Zak. I'm sure I can count on you."

Just then, loud shrieks were heard from one of the downstairs bedrooms (I'm guessing), followed by Finley chasing after a younger girl with blonde braids falling behind her. "Delete that!" He shouted.

"Nope. Not my fault you were feeling yourself up. You gave me an opportunity and I grasped it!" She cackled.

"But with a Nikon? Really?" He huffed. I noticed then that he was shirtless with damp hair and skin. He was obviously fresh out the shower. I felt the heat rise to my skin as my eyes savoured the sight of a topless Finley. He had a lightly toned torso with deliciously pale skin. I was certain a trail of saliva had found its way down my chin at this point. His silver hair plastered against his forehead effortlessly, yet so beautifully. My breath hitched in the back of my throat.