Seven

"Hi!" The irritating sound of Skai's overly-cheery voice sand behind me, making me jump out of my skin.

"Geez, Skai, a little warning next time," I mumbled, slamming my locker shut.

"Aw, sorry, didn't mean to scare you, dumpling. Anywoo, are we still on for Friday?"

"Friday...?"

"Dinner, remember? We've been planning it for weeks. Don't say you forgot, Zakky." How could I forgot? She wrote it all over my school books and diary.

"Nope, I didn't. My mind just went blank for a sec." Nice lie, idiot. "But, yes, I'll meet you at the restaurant, since I can't drive you there because of my dick-ish father."

"Aw, vanilla spice, it's okay. See ya' there. 7pm sharp," she smiled, brushing her fingertips over my broad shoulders.

"Yeah, of course. Can't wait." Skai hopped up on her tip-toes to press her lips up to my cheek, before leaving to get to her lesson.

Now all I had to do was find an excuse to get out of this goddamn dinner. There was no way I was spending at least two hours with her alone in a dark restaurant with romantic music playing on loop. Nope, no thanks.

I suppose I could fake an injury, but I'm pretty sure she'd be suspisious when I'd be playing a footy match the next day for the school.

No, I needed something original and believable. My dog died? No, I don't have a dog. My grandmother died? Nope, she already knows both of them on either side of the family are dead. I was grounded? That seemed more appropriate and less morbid.

Or I could just do the alternative.

I could dump her.

But I couldn't, because that would pose questions. Questions that I didn't have answers to. Besides, the girl was far too absorbed in this shitty relationship for me to end it that easily anyways. Ugh, why did I even ask her out in the first place? If I hadn't have gotten drunk that night at the party, I wouldn't be stuck in this shithole anyway...

"Just ask her, Zak. What have you got to lose?" Jacob pushes.

"I dunno, my reputation?" I snort.

"For fuck's sake, you're so stubborn. You were just eye-fucking each other, like, ten seconds ago. JUST ASK HER OUT!" Jacob seriously needed to stop weasling his way into other people's business. It only ever ended in trouble.

"What if she says no, Jakey?" I slur, the alcohol I've been consuming clearly taking its tole on my persecption.

"She won't trust me. Besides, you look like a sex god, no one could reject you," he laughs. Obviously, the drink has to gotten him too. Sober Jacob would never have described me as a 'sex god', but more like a toe nail.

"Uggghhhhhh, fiiiiiiinnneee!" I huff, dramatically, making my way over to the blonde girl who'd been checking me out for the past half-hour. I trip over multiple people along the way, spilling my beer on the carpet a couple of times.

"Hi, Skai," I purr.

"Hey, Zakary." I barely knew Skai, the girl I'm attempting to ask out, since we didn't have any classes together. I just know that she's the most popular girl in school and has one hell of a body. And as far as I'm aware, she thinks I'm somewhat of a hunk.

"Wanna go for a walk?" I ask, a small smirk toying at the corner of my lips.

"I don't see why not," the younger girl smiles. I lead her out of the cramped house and onto the sidewalk.