Two

Mum pulled the car up on the curb outside Skai's house. She had to drive me, since Dad obviously didn't trust me all that much at the moment. "Alright, get Skai's parents to drop you off home afterwards. Remember, don't be back too late 'cause you're father's not all that impressed with you at the moment." She smiled, as I stepped out the vehicle.

"Yeah, okay, Mum. See ya' later," I waved.

"Bye, sweetie, have fun."

"I will, love you."

"Love you, too." I slammed shut the car door and strolled up to Skai's front door. A few moments after I'd tapped my knuckles against the glass of the door, the warm face of Skai's mother appeared. "Ah, Zak! It's great to see you again! Come in, come in!" She hollered, opening the door wider for me to enter.

"Hi, Mrs. Kelly," I grinned.

"Goodness, Zak, call me Patricia, I insist." I heard a light cough from the other side of the room where we stood. Skai was leaning against the dark oak door frame with a small smile toying at her lips - which were painted in blood-red lipstick.

"There's no need to be pushy, Mum," Skai tutted. Her blonde hair was curled and fell effortlessly around her tann shoulders. She wore a spaghetti strap white dress that was cut just above her knees and brown gladiator sandals hugged at her ankles.

"Gosh, you look beautiful, Skai," I gasped.

"Thanks, munchkin." Okay, that was taking it a bit far, especially for her. "You look pretty good yourself." I glanced down at my button-up short sleeved shirt and jeans and shrugged.

"It's a gift," I teased and Skai snorted, but it wasn't cute in the slightest. In fact, it was the polar opposite of cute. It was more like a dying hyena. Mrs. Kelly (who I refused to call Patricia) was giggling at us both.

"You two are such an adorable couple!  Harry! Quick, get the camera! Zak and Skai are being cute again!" She bellowed up the staircase. Oh, for god's sake, I mentally cursed.

Momentarily, a cascade of footsteps pounced down the stairs and a breathless Mr. Kelly appeared, holding what appeared to be a camera from the nineteenth century. "Say 'cheese'!" He cooed. Skai snaked her arm around my waist and snuck a kiss on my cheek, just as her father took the shot. "That's a keeper!" He sounded entirely satisfied with the result, with Mrs. Kelly squealing along with her daughter like Skai had when I'd won the sprint race in gym earlier that day.

"Alright, we'd better be headed if we want to get to our reservation on time," Mr. Kelly announced. We all followed him out to the four-by-four sat out on their driveway. Skai and I piled into the back of the vehicle, with Mr. Kelly reving up the engine. Skai slipped her hand into mine, flashing her ridiculously white teeth at me. I just wished I felt something for this girl, anything.

We arrived in the restaurant after ten minutes of an extremely painful car journey. Skai's parents kept asking whether or not I was taking her to the prom and if I was going to be giving them grandchildren any time soon (disguisting, I know). I was close to getting on my knees and praying to the Lord when the car finally came to a stop in the car park for the restaurant.

Skai looped her arm in mine when we entered, almost like she was trying to show off the fact that we were dating. I swear she thought of me as more of an accessory than a boyfriend. The waiter showed us over to a table in the corner of the Italian restaurant. It was dimly illuminated with candles that were sat in transparent bottles hung from the ceiling. My girlfriend yanked me down beside her in the booth, before shoving a menu in front of me.

"I was telling Mum earlier about how you won the sprint race in gym class today." She smiled, running her delicate fingers up and down my moderately built bicep.