A Drunken Mistake - ...I honestly can't wait until it's my turn.

Start from the beginning

“Glad I could help,” I mutter as we pull up outside the hospital.

We jump out of the car and help Kristie waddle her way into the hospital and up to the front desk. Once the receptionist sees that Kristie is properly into her labour, her screaming wails definitely helped with that, we were then rushed into a hospital room waiting for her to be ready to go to the delivery room.

Once she’s in and settled, I take her phone off her and go into the corridor to tell her Mum that she’s about to be a Nan.

She screams in excitement once I explain the situation to her, and then scolds her daughter for flying halfway across the world while heavily pregnant. I just laugh at her carelessness and reassure her that Kristie is being well looked after and that we’re going to be here for her the whole time. She then tells me she’s booking the first flight out here so she can meet her grandchild as soon as possible.

Then it occurs to me to ask about the dad.

“Say Mrs Walker, do you know who the dad is?” I take a wild shot; maybe something was mentioned to her.

“Oh yes dear, his name is Aaron Matthews, sweet enough boy until I heard he left her after he found out about the child, shocking news really I always thought he would be the type to stick around…” she sighs.

“Do you have his number, I really think he should know that he’s about to become a dad, you never know he might have a change of heart when he hears,” he suggest.

“Okay I do have his number, but you didn’t get it from me okay. I think he needs to know too but I know what my Kristie is like, she’s too stubborn for her own good,” she sighs before giving me the mystery number.

I hold my breath before dialling the number in, god knows how he’s going react to this.

Finally, after what seems like an eternity of listening to the dial tone, a deep voice answers the phone.

“Hello?”

“Um hello? Is this Aaron Matthews?” I ask.

“Yes and this is?” I sigh in relief at his answer.

“This is Katy Taylor, I’m sorry for ringing you but there’s something you should know. See I’m friends with Kristie Walker and I thought you should know she just went into labour,” I say waiting for the reaction.

“Wait she’s in labour now?” he asks.

“Yeah, not long left I don’t think before she’ll be having her baby, your baby.”

“Oh my god! Why didn’t she tell me she was that far along. She didn’t let me talk to her after that day; I’m such a stupid idiot! I walked away that day in shock, nothing more. I mean hearing you’re going to be a dad is a big shocker, I didn’t know how to react at first. But I want to be in my child’s life, I mean I’m its father I should be there for it! Where are you I’m on my way?” he rants.

His confession shocks me; I knew Kristie was too stubborn!

“Well this is the awkward part, she’s in California right now,” I answer.

“What why is she there, she’s pregnant!?”

“I know, well I didn’t know she was pregnant or that she was flying here to see me, one big shock really, especially her going into labour a month early!”

“Shit, okay I’m booking a flight now. I’ll be there as soon as I can I promise!” he says before hanging up.

Once all the phone calls are made, I walk back into her room to tell her the news, leaving out Aaron’s soon arrival.