Chapter Fifty Five: Being there, but also relaxing

It's been about two weeks since Dad's emergency and he's doing better. He's still a little weak and needs to heal more, but he is doing way better than how he originally was. He was allowed to go home a few days ago and will start his cancer treatments in about another two weeks. But ever since Dad got home, my brothers and I have been making him as comfortable as possible at home and each spending a lot of time with him. Even if he doesn't need it or says he's fine. The three of us just want to make sure that's he's okay and doesn't go through something dramatic while he's all alone.  

"She's really grown these past few months" Dad says with a smile as he looks at my stomach.

"She certainly has" I say with a big smile as I rub my hand up and down on my stomach while I make my dad and I some tea.

"I can't wait to meet her" Dad says, giving me a warm smile.

I look up and give Dad a big smile before turning my attention back to tea, which is almost ready.

"I promise you that I will be there for her birth and to see her grow up sweetheart" Dad says softly and reassuringly.

"I know you will Dad" I say as I nod my head and smile at Dad.

Even though I had a lot of bad thoughts about my Dad not making it when he first landed in the hospital, I've been trying not to think like that anymore. I'm thinking more positive and just hoping for the best for my Dad.

Once the tea is done, I take the pot off the kettle and pour it into the cups I grabbed for Dad and I. I put some cream and sugar into both cups and serve Dad his.

"Thank you" Dad says as he gladly takes the cup from me.

"You're welcome" I say as I walk over to Dad and sit down next him at the island.

We sit in silence for a bit, just sipping and enjoying the tea and the silence.

"I appreciate everything you, Shawn and Andrew have been doing for me since I got home" Dad says as he looks at me with a sincere face and smile.

"No problem Dad. All three of us are here for you" I say.

"I know, but I want you to do something for me and promise me that you'll do it" Dad says, a bit stern.

"What is it?" I ask, raising an eyebrow.

"I don't want you to focus all your time and energy on me and worrying about my health. I'm not saying you are, but I just want you to know that you don't have to do that. You have a family and new baby on the way right now and I want you to focus more on that than your old Dad, okay?" Dad asks as he reaches over and takes hold of one of my hands and gives it a soft but tight squeeze.

As much as I want to help my Dad out, I know there's only so much I can do and should be doing given the fact that I am pregnant. I understand my Dad doesn't want me to put a lot of stress on myself because it's not good for both me and the baby and I respect his wishes on that, but I'm still going to help him as much as I can.

"I understand Dad and I'll try my best to do that, but I'm still going to help you as much as I can" I say as I give Dad a little smile.

"I know you will, but just put yourself and the baby before me sometimes. Okay?" Dad asks with a smile.

"Okay" I say, nodding my head.

Dad smiles at me before moving closer to me and pulling me into a hug.

"I love you honey" Dad says as rubs a hand up and down my back.

"I love you too Dad" I say as I hug Dad a little tighter.