Chapter Fifty Four: Fighter

I'm sitting down with my chin resting in my hand as I look at Dad sleeping sort of peacefully on his hospital bed. But he's hooked up to a bunch of machines as he sleeps, so I highly doubt he's really comfortable right now.

I wish he was comfortable though and wasn't having to go through all this either because he really does not deserve any it. He's a good man, who's done nothing but good throughout his whole life. So why is he being punished with this? Can someone please explain that to me?

I sigh heavily as I remove my hand from my face and sit back into the chair I've been sitting in for the past two hours. My dad was actually awake when both my brothers came in to see him but when I came in he was fast asleep. I wasn't upset about that though. He just went through a lot and needs the rest and I can always wait. So that's what I have been doing for the past two hours, just waiting for my dad to wake up so I can talk to him and see if I can help him in any way.

Chris and Riley have been waiting with me too and so have my brothers. But they are all down in the cafeteria getting something to eat. I chose not to go just incase Dad woke up while we were gone and needed help, but Chris is going to bring me up something.

*knock, knock*

My head perks up as the door to Dad's hospital room opens up. I smile when I see Doctor Carter step into the room.

"Hello Ms. Smith" Dr. Carter says softly as she walks over to me after she closed the door behind her.

"Hi Doctor Carter" I say with a small smile as I sit up a bit in my chair.

"I just came to check up on your father. How has he been so far?" Dr. Carter says as she stands on the other side of Dad's bed and gets ready to do a small check up on him.

"Fine, I guess. He's been asleep since I got in here" I say as I look at Dad.

Doctor Carter nods her head as she places her stethoscope on Dad's chest after moving the front of his hospital gown a little.

It stays silent as Doctor Carter checks Dad and I'm okay with it because I'm just not really in the talking mood. So I just continue to sit in my chair as I rub a hand over my stomach and look down at the floor.

"How far along are you?" Doctor Carter asks, making me look up at her.

"Mhm" I sound as I look up at her.

Doctor Carter smiles at me as she places her stethoscope around her neck and walks over to me.

"How many months along are you?" Doctor Carter asks as points to my stomach and stands in front of me.

"Almost six months" I say with as I give Doctor Carter a little smile, but it grows after I feel my little girl move around and kick me.

"Ah, so the little one should be here in a couple of months then" Doctor Carter says with a warm smile.

"Yep. My boyfriend, daughter and I are counting down the says until she gets here" I say while rubbing soft circles into my stomach.

"So you're getting lucky with another beautiful daughter?" Doctor Carter asks.

"We are" I say with a sort of big smile. It fades though as I look back down at the ground after I think about the possibility of my Dad not being there to meet his new granddaughter. I know I shouldn't be thinking Negative like that, but it just had to pop into my head.

I quickly look up at Doctor Carter after both her hands take hold of one of mine and she gives it a squeeze. She must have been able to tell something was wrong.

"Your father is going to be okay, Ms. Smith. I know that's hard to believe right now and that you probably don't trust me with saying it either, but I can assure you he will be fine. Yes, he has a very tough road ahead of him. But I think he can handle it because he looks like a fighter who has overcome a lot and isn't about to stop being that person anytime soon" Doctor Carter says softly, with a reassuring smile.

I find that really kind of her for saying that and I really hope that it's true.

"Thank you Doctor Carter" I say as I nod my head in thanks to her.

Doctor Carter smiles at me as she squeezes my hand again. "No problem, and if you or your father need anything else just ask for me and I'll be here as soon as I can."

I just smile at her and nod my head again. Doctor Carter does the same and squeezes my hand again before leaving.

"She's very nice" Dad suddenly says out of nowhere.

I jump a little, but look over at my Dad and smile but tear up when I see him awake and smiling at me. I quickly get up from my seat and walk over to my Dad and wrap my arms around him as I give him a tight but not so tight hug and bury my face into his shoulder. Dad wraps his arms around me too and pulls me closer to him.

"I'm so sorry I put you and your brothers through this, sweety" Dad says as he strokes the back of my hair.

"Don't be. This was unexpected and no one can real control something like this. But we'll all get through this and me, Shawn and Andrew will be there for you Dad" I say as I pull away from Dad a little.

"I know you guys will, and I'm going to fight this with my very best because I'm not and don't want to leave you guys" Dad says.

I just faintly smile at Dad and nod my head before burying my head back into his shoulder. Dad rubs a hand up and down my back and kisses the side of my head.

"I love you, Ariana" Dad says softly.

"I love you too, Dad" I say as I hug him tighter.

////////////////////////////////

So I know I have probably said this a million times by now...but guys, I am genuinely so sorry that I don't update this book that often.

It's just that I am a Senior in High School now and I have a lot going on. I have a lot of work being assigned to me now. I'm applying to colleges as well and that's a huge process too. But I am trying to update this book and my other books as much as I can. I just need to focus on the really important things right now. But I hope you all understand this.