Chapter Twenty-Two: This Wasn't Funny

A/N: The second last ringtone is Norah's. It's called 'Ring Ring.' The funny thing is, that my ringtone is that... 😂

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO: THIS WASN'T FUNNY

  ▪♛▪  

"Ms. Mayfair, why don't you answer this question?" Mr. Evans asked me, smirking. I sighed, went up to the chalkboard, and did the math equation. I turned back to Mr. Evans when I was done, smirking while he frowned. He rolled his eyes and pointed to my seat, signalling to sit down. I went back to my desk and set my head in my hand.

It's Monday, the dreadful day that everyone hates. I'm in math, which is great since Mr. Evans is my teacher. Adam was being his normal self, annoying and irritating. My stepbrothers are okay, except for Avery, obviously. Ethan, Carter, Jaxon and I have been getting along super well, but the only thing that's worrying me is Landon. We're super awkward with each other, just because we haven't hung out in a while. I think it's finally time we just take a break, I guess. He's been making new friends, the other football team guys. 

Speaking of football, it's today! Hopefully, I won't get tackled as much today. I mean, I do have Ethan, Carter and Jaxon, right? I'm sure they'll help me out.

Suddenly, my phone started ringing.

I widen my eyes and took it in my hands. Everyone turned to me, either snorting, laughing quietly, while Mr. Evans glared. I turned off the ringer and swallowed hard. Wait, the caller ID was Jaxon? He supposed to be in class right now! That probably means he skipped... of course. I set my phone down, with red cheeks.

The whole class burst into laughter. My ringtone isn't normal, it's the minions 'Ring Ring' ringtone. Which is really catchy, which is why I chose it! I have never thought of it ringing in class though since I have always set the ringer off. I just had to forget to turn it off in Mr. Evans class! Just great.

"Norah," Mr. Evans said, very stern. I can tell he's mad since he's saying Norah and not 'Ms. Mayfair,' "I want you to call that person back, and put it on speaker."

 I widen my eyes and my heart started beating faster. Other kids looked in my direction, smirking, looking at me nervously, snorting. I shook my head no.

"I'm telling you to do it. I wasn't asking, it was an order."

"What if I don't do it?" I asked, feeling confident. He titled his head to one side, before narrowing his eyes.

"I'm going to send to the office, for using your phone in class."

"That's not fair-,"

"Life's not fair, sweetheart. Now, pick up your phone, dial the number back, and put the phone on speaker," he demanded. I took in a shaky breath, before picking up my phone and going to my missed calls.

I can't believe my life has come to this part. This is going to be so embarrassing! It's Jaxon people, like, he's definitely going to say something weird. 

"Before you press call," Mr. Evans said, stopping me, "who is it who called you?"

My heart sped up, "Oh, um, Jaxon?"

A girl gasped, "The Jaxon Lee?"

"Y-yeah?"

"Omg! He's so hot, like, omg! Why are you even friends with him?"

"I-I don't know."

The class went silent. I pressed call and pressed speaker with sweaty fingers. I was thinking in my head, 'don't pick up, don't pick up, 'don't pick up,' don't pick up, don't pick up-

"Hello? Norah! Glad you called back, aren't you supposed to be in class?"

"I'd be asking you the same thing," I hissed back. I glanced over at Adam, and he had pure amusement sparkling in his eyes.

The line went silent until, "Hey Norah."

Everyone in the room gasped, it was Ethan who said that.

"Ethan! Why are you out of class?" 

"School sucks," he said simply. Mr. Evans rolled his eyes at that, as he put up his feet on his desk, before putting his hands behind his head.

"So, Norah," I think Carter said, which made some girls faint, "how come you're out of class?"

I took in a deep breath as anger welled up inside me, "I'm not. Do you think I'm the kind of person to do that?"

"Maybe," they all said in unison.

"I'm in class, you dimwits!" I snapped loudly. Everyone jumped, one kid who was sleeping, jumped too high, he crashed onto the floor with a loud thump. 

"Then why are you-,"

"The whole class is listening to our conversation right now! Why would you even call me?" I shouted at them. 

"Sorry Norah, we didn't know-,"

I scoffed and ended the call, heat burning up inside me, because of embarrassment and anger. The whole class was silent until everyone burst out laughing. People whispered, pointed, mocked me. I clenched my phone in my hand, standing up, staring at Mr. Evans with pure hatred.

"This wasn't funny," I muttered, a tear dripping down my cheek. Why was I crying? I don't even know! My life is just a freaking joke because look where I ended up? I'm in the middle of my classroom, crying pathetically just because I'm angry and embarrassed? 

Mr. Evans had his jaw dropped and his eyes wide. I took in a deep breath, gathering my things, looking at the time. There are fifteen minutes of class, but I don't care. I rushed out, with nothing but silence in the class. 

I left the classroom as left the building. I checked the front of the building and saw the three of them. I ran up to Jaxon and did the unthinkable.

I hugged him.

I was so confused. I was supposed to be mad at him, so why the hell am I hugging him? I pulled in Ethan and Carter and soon enough, this was a group hug. They were all confused, and as I finally let go, Jaxon widen his eyes.

"Were you crying-,"

I cut him off by stomping on his foot. 

"Ow, ow, ow!" He hissed in pain, clutching his left foot, he began bouncing up and down with one leg. This would have been funny if only I wasn't mad.

Mr. Evans actually took this way too far.

▪♛▪  

▪E D I T E D▪

A/N: Hey guys! I've got nothing to say, lol. I hope you enjoyed the chapter though! 

 I hope you enjoyed the chapter though! 

▪COMMENT▪VOTE▪FOLLOW▪