The planning for war begins

Start from the beginning

"I haven't figured that part out but it could work if we hammer out the ruse," Roark said. "You were part of that original effort," Gampu lowered his head, ashamed. "Heard you ended up killing some people to keep your cover."

"Casualties of war," Gampu said, raising his head up toward Roark with tired eyes. "I never want to do that again. We need another tactic that could work against Dragos and his allies, cadet."

"The current solution is fortifying the campus, send the cadets and civilians into a vast cave with plenty of seekers to send them out to the rescue ships should the army retreat," Gampu nodded, approvingly. "Someone will man this campus while aiming for the biggest ship that may provide a domino effect could it work," Roark finished. Gampu shook his head, disapprovingly. "I realize this breaks your rules of no one dying but it is the most feasible one where everyone lives because one cadet sacrificed themselves."

"And who would be that reckless to do that?" Gampu asked.

"Lieutenant Prentiss," Roark said, watching the older man grow grim and stiffen before his eyes.

"No," Gampu said.

"He approached me with this idea," Roark said. "Emperor Dragos is not aware that he made it to the academy."

"I said no," Gampu said, facing the Vegan with heavy eyes.

"Then use the landscape to our advantage if Emperor Dragos wants a ground invasion," Roark continued. "Using natives of the planet may help us winning this war against Dragos Evil," Roark placed a padd on the edge of the table. Gampu's hands unlinked behind his back looking down toward the flat, blue padd with bulky buttons below the screen. He scanned the text on the screen picking it up. Gampu's blue eyes looked toward Roark registering that it was his ideas of how to best use the environment. He wanted to laugh at the ideas. These ideas would only work on Earth like planets that didn't have cosmic sand pits. "Just like the Vegans did when Terrans tried invading Vega." Gampu lowered the padd onto the table beside him.

Gampu tapped on his chin, contemplating, as he looked off toward the hole in deep consideration. The wind blew a warm, comforting breeze into the room. Gampu lowered his finger down from his chin then linked his hands hands behind his back. From the distance, everything was just a simple combination of aesthetic and beauty. A scenery that could become a scene of disaster with rising smoke and flames engulfing areas of the land. The imagery alone was enough to shake the man down to his core. The very thought of the planet becoming a war zone was disturbing enough. He squeezed his hands.

"I have seen too many star wars where thousands of people died," Gampu said. "People I called family, friends, and colleagues. . ." he briefly closed his eyes as the faces of people he knew crossed his mind in pain. People that he had lost in wars. He reopened his blue eyes gripping on to what remained of a railing that still stood. "I will be condemned to death before I let another one sacrifice themselves for the good of everyone else." He faced the Vegan. "We are not using innocent civilians to win this war or cadets."

"Sure you're ready to go out there, again?" Roark said.

"It was required of me then and it requires me, again," Gampu said. "If you have better ideas. The natives of this planet are not going to be part of it."

"People will die if we don't act, Commander," Roark said.

"Egos will suffer a short, painful death," Gampu said, with a dismissive wave on the issue. "If the allies intend to pose a ground invasion then we use equipment to test out parts of the planet ahead of the time."

"I prefer we use natives," Roark said. "They know the planet better than we do."

"This is a planet that travelers stop by on and stay awhile," Gampu said. "The only people on here are castaways and alien humanoids who trick people into what they want."