Bexley

Our pleasures are shallow,

our sorrows are deep.

            I didn't know where I was as the darkness blocked my sight. The moon pulsed against my skin drawing out something in me that I have never experienced before. There was no weight holding my eyelids down, but I kept them closed. Not ready to see just where I was exactly.

There was a rambling heavily accented voice in my ear, for a reason unbeknownst to me, it calmed me more than I would like to admit.

Scents hung heavily in the stale air, nearly overpowering the scents that reminded me of a family I couldn't place. The sick smell in the air had my stomach turning.

My hand was warm as a slightly sweaty palm played with the fingers, his voice telling me all I missed while I had been away. Apparently, everyone missed me, he continued to name people I didn't know.

When I squeezed his hand, he stopped talking.

I don't know why I did it, maybe to comfort him as he nervously blabbed on. His sudden silence had me questioning my decision to squeeze his hand in comfort though.

"Bex," His voice quivered, maybe those tears I could hear him holding back as he talked finally fell. "Are you actually alive and squeezing my hand or did your ghost come back to haunt my ass?" He tried to play it off as a joke, but I knew that he was on the verge of freaking out.

I opened my eyes, it was harder than I thought it would be as I struggled to pry the refusing lids open. When they finally opened I blinked at the darkness, the moon was pointed at my skin, the light soothing as I wanted to roll over and sleep in its presence.

His body smothered mine as he cursed, his ear pressed against my chest as he searched for the soft heartbeat that I could barely feel, my breaths shallow. After hearing the soft patter, he sat back gasping, his eyes dazed as his lips parted.

"Holy shit," I turned my eyes to look at the man-no- to look at Lincoln as he stared at me in shock. "I have to go get Lazarus." His panicked words had me clutching his hand.

"Not yet," My voice croaked as I struggled to sit up, my body weak as I shook. "I need you to tell me what happened."

Lincoln stopped his panicking and helped me sit up. "Are you sure, if Lazarus found out I didn't get him when you woke up he would kill me. Hell, everyone is going to kill me."

I cracked a smile at the blonde who always managed to make me smile. "I'm sure Link, I need you to tell me what happened."

His smile fell as he turned his head, his long blonde strands falling into his face. "What do you remember Bexley?"

Licking my lips, I furrowed my brows as I tried to remember what happened before I died. "They were cruel," The soft beat sped up slightly, but never became louder than the light beat as my lungs burned from the air I was taking in. "The things they did, I knew I was going to die." The events from my taking flashed through my eyes in rapid motions as Lincoln squeezed my hand in his. I took note in how his fingers were splayed over my write, keeping track of my soft heartbeat.