Ellis

Feeling hopeless and full of despair

is just a slower way of being dead.

            Olympia was moving in a flurry. I felt detached from my body as I watched the scene from beside the two dead Lycans. Lazarus was still in his human form as he cried over Bexley's unmoving, lifeless form.

A massive pressure pushed down on my chest as I watched the two of them as Lazarus allowed himself to mourn. He had taken off in such a flurry to make sure that his mate was actually gone, and the bond wasn't playing with his feeling again, that he didn't take in account what would happen if she was actually gone.

It was strange to watch the Alpha cry, about as strange as watching my sister lay immobile on the ground. The pale skin looked so out of place as it outlined every cut, slash, burn on her body.

I wanted to take off after the bastard that we just barely caught sight of taking off through the woods as Max was holding his own against the two fully grown Lycans who evenly matched himself. And then I saw her, and here I was.

I could feel myself shutting down.

Out of everyone who I felt like would be the one to fulfill the prophecy my brothers and I did not want it to be Bexley. She had been through a lot these past few months and dying didn't need to be added to that list. But here she laid, Olympia was murmuring words to her as Wilder was by her side helping as the Alpha still was cradling her head.

I was supposed to be a Beta, I was supposed to be able to keep myself together in situations like this. Yet, I couldn't. Right now, I wasn't a Beta, I wasn't anyone important. Right then and there I was a boy who just lost his baby sister.

I couldn't just get up and move on from that.

I didn't willingly move until Kendan began to drag me forward, dragging the two of us to our knees on the other side of Max.

I didn't understand what my mate was doing as she took the river-soaked rope back from Wilder as he kneeled next to her. "Do you think you can actually do this?" Wilder asked our mate as she briefly glanced up at him.

"It's not bringing her back." Lazarus was just sitting silently, glancing up at Mia at her words. "It's tying her life to another force. You have to understand that she won't be the same as she was before."

"Do it," Lazarus spoke, his voice defeated as his Alpha command broke through the weak tone of voice.

She hesitantly nodded, looking wary as she began to burn the herbs around her starting first with the Juniper, the forest began to smell of roses as Lazarus' head snapped up.

"Did it work already?" His body was rigged, he was blind once again as his fingers ran over Bexley's clammy skin.

"No, I'm burning juniper and sage in preparation to begin." Her voice wavered, nervous at the sight of the Alpha whose fangs were elongating.

"Hurry up, there no chance for this if her soul is with the Goddess already."

Olympias' hands shook while she rubbed the herbs into the rope. Taking a deep breath, she steeled herself as she began to chant the words while knotting the rope, one at a time.

Her fingers were steady as she first started. "By knot of 1, the spells began." Three fingers space away, she started on the second one. "By knot of 2, it cometh true."

No one was breathing as I watched Olympias' fingers begin to tremble. "By knot of 3, so mote it be. By knot of 4, thus power I store." Her hands were lightly glowing, like the night she had cast the large ball of energy into the wolves.

"By knot of 5, the spells alive. By knot of 6, the spell I fix." Her voice was wavering as I began to grow worried, coming out of my frozen state.

"By knot of 7, events ill leaven. By knot of 8, it will be fate." Olympia looked paler than usual, her fingers shaking as she could just barely tie the last knot.

"By knot of 9, what's done is mine."

Olympia fell back on the ground, her breathing labored as she shook. The five of us looked at Bexley's form expectedly.

"Why isn't it working?" Lazarus demanded, his fingers pressed against her jugular as his head was tilted to her body looking for a heartbeat. It didn't matter though, we should be able to feel the bond be restored, the longing pain in our heart gone as she's alive once again.

"Give it time," Olympia whispered, her body drained. "We need to get her somewhere safe, clean her up so that her Lycan won't have to work as hard to repair her injuries.

Kendan and Lazarus both went to grab Bexley at the same time. The two beasts snarling at each other. I snapped my eyes to my older brother, snarling at him as I grabbed his arm pulling him back as the Alpha grabbed his mate.

"This isn't your place Kendan. Grab Max. Bex would kill us if he's not home once we get her up." Kendan's eyes were glowing as he snarled at me, I simply ignored him and went over to my mate who was still recovering on the ground, clutching the knotted rope to her chest.

"Wilder, get the two wolves for me?" He didn't say anything as the Alpha was already storming off back in the direction of his pack house. Quickly packing all of Olympias thing back into her bag, I scooped her weak body up and took off after the Alpha.

"Why are you still clutching the rope?" I asked Mia, completely aware of Wilder dragging the bodied behind us as Kendan fought to keep up with Lazarus as he was carrying Max's large form.

"If Bexley makes it, then the rope is the only life form that will be keeping her alive." She sighed, laying her head on my shoulder. "I hope it works."

"Who told you about the spell?" I asked Olympia, curious as to how she came about the odd spell.

"Aphrodite." I nodded, it made sense with how much time she spent with Uncle Leroy and his mate lately.

"How many times has it worked?"

She frowned, looking ahead of us to the Alpha couple who still had no sign of life again.

"Never." She whispered looking away as my heart pummeled to the ground.

My face fell as the beast in my whimpered, Wilder briefly paused, completely aware of what was just said. We had been so happy at the prospect of our sister breaking the prophecy and still being with us.

"How many times has it been tried?" My throat was heavy as I struggled to take in air into my suddenly tight lungs.

"Too many times to count." She whispered, her face fore lone.

Suddenly I was glad that Kendan and Lazarus were out of earshot. They didn't need to hear this information, they needed to have as much hope as they could.

Regardless of the fact that it was completely, 100 percent hopeless at this point.

Our sister was still going to be dead when we get back to the pack and clean her up.

The spell had been broken in return for her life. There was no taking that back.