Bexley

She was born to be free,

let her run wild in her own way and

you will never lose her.

"Why are you giving your mate up?" Had I not been used to the rough voice, I would have flinched back

"I am not giving up my mate, Max. He gave me up." My own words bit back the fight he was trying to put up. He had tried broaching the topic for the hour we've been on the phone.

He and Olympia were the only ones I could count on in my turmoil right now.

"What is this of a chosen mate then?" I closed my eyes internally groaning, maybe Olympia needed to be taken off that list.

Heavy breathing crossed the lines on both ends as I thought of how to explain it to him, in a way he could understand. As a chosen though, he would never be able to feel what it is like.

"I can't live like this Max. If I take a chosen, then I could have some sort of happiness in my life." I stopped talking as my voice threatened to break, steeling my emotions I waited.

"Have you been training?" Chuckling, my heart felt lighter as I knew right then that Max would always hold a special place in my heart at his ability to drop subjects when they needed to be dropped. He doesn't hold onto little things that are meaningless.

It reminded me of the first and only time I kissed him, my first kiss.

As we talked I reminisced on the day we were training together, I was furious as he kept throwing me to the ground with ease. When I managed to swipe his feet from under him I was triumphant and in the heat of the moment I leaned down and pressed my lips against his, to both of our shock.

I had always harbored a crush for the man, but I never acted on it. And as any 14-year-old girl who just kissed a man a good few years older than her, I ran off to the pack house blushing furiously. We never spoke of it and we never will.

The memory is special for me though, I will always have space in my black, cold heart for Max and his way of wiggling his way into peoples lives.

"I have a meeting in 5 minutes," His confession had my suddenly ever-present smile dropping as I nodded to myself.

"No worries," I desperately tried to keep my voice light. "Max, look after everyone for me, please?"

"For you, anything." The smile managed to slip onto my lips again at the three words we said to each other on what was a daily basis.

After hanging up the phone and getting a better grip on my emotions, I exited the room where Beckett was waiting, having no doubt heard the conversation.

"Who is Max?" His quiet voice was loud in the silent corridor.

"A turned, he grew up with my mother when they were nomads." My voice was detached as we walked. I didn't need to look at him to know the dark man was frowning.