Kendan

Courage doesn't mean you don't get afraid.

Courage means you don't let fear stop you.

The pack has begun to move on from Bexley's absence, as hard as it is to see the people I live with, the people I oversee move on so quickly while I'm still stuck

The pack has begun to move on from Bexley's absence, as hard as it is to see the people I live with, the people I oversee move on so quickly while I'm still stuck. Because that's what I was, stuck.

The twins have Olympia and helping her work on her magic to distract them as they still shadowed our Beta and ran patrols. But I feel as if nothing can keep me busy.

Leia makes every excuse available she can to not be in the same room as me, a mental wall firmly between the two of us. After asking my mother about it, who has been busy trying to help Maverick, she said that Leia goes through her shadowing and is gone without a second to spare.

So, what was my mate doing in all her free time?

We hadn't been close since the night we mated, it was putting my beast on edge as he could barely speak to her own Lycan she was keeping us from.

Does the Goddess make mistakes?

Sitting on my chair in my office, I was facing the front of the house where many took to congregate at. Everywhere I could see were happy couples, overjoyed families, children running without a care.

I couldn't help but wonder why my mate and I were different. Was it because we were Alphas?

Even then being an Alpha wouldn't make any sense. My parents were Alphas and were completely enamored with another, the bond so tight they weren't able to fight it for long. My fathers' friend and ally from another pack was a female Alpha, she had helped our family while we were fighting.

She was a turned, taking over her back by killing the previous Alpha, before that she had taken refuge as a human with my mother and father before the twins were born.

Her mate was her Gamma and as much as she was closed off with the rest of the world, her mate knew her like he knew the back of his eyelid.

Being Alphas should have brought us closer together, not the other way around. Pursing my lips, my brow furrowed as I devilled into my mind, seeking the different links for my Gamma, my Uncle.

'I need to see you.' Sending the request out to her, I waited in silence.

Samantha sauntered through the door as she stood in front of my desk as I turned the chair to face her. Watching her auburn hair fall to the side, my heart felt heavy as what I was going to ask her to do.

"I need you to keep an eye on Leia." Shock fluttered over my soon to be Gammas face before she quickly masked it.

"Keep an eye on her as?" Had I not been in a bad mood I would be smiling, the 25-year-old was always wanting the details for what she needed to get her task done correctly.

"I want to know times and places she goes, call histories, she's hiding something. Something she doesn't want me to know and I'm going to figure it out." My beast slammed himself to the forefront of my mind, the last part of my statement coming out rougher as my eyes glowed.

Samantha's own Lycan approached forward, her light eyes glowing as she bowed her head. "Of course."

"Thank you, Samantha," The slight incline of her head let me know that she heard me.

Hopefully, the girl could figure out what was going because every time I tried Leia would close off and accuse me of not trusting her. Right now, it wasn't about trust, right now I was worried about a war that was going to be started if something happened to my sister. I needed Leia helping me, not running off and doing God knows what.

A few hours later I still hadn't left my seat in the office, drowning in paperwork as my father was still away with my mother and Maverick. I perked up as the familiar scent came to where I was seated.

"Come in," I called to the one person that kept me tethered to how my sister was doing. Olympia had become a big help with pack work as well, as an uprising Beta female, even if she was a witch, she was taking in the new information in stride if only Leia could share that attribute.

As my Lycan rumbled in my chest, I knew he agreed as well. We would never want our mate to change, but all the extra work was falling on us.

"Hey Kendan," The witch smiled, her dark lips pulling up as she sat down in a chair across from my own, setting down her own papers she's been working on. A pang of longing ran through my body as she reminded me so much of Bexley at that moment, as the girl who would help me with my work, so we could spar for longer.

"She's been good," Olympia began, knowing we wouldn't get any work done until I knew how my sibling was. "She thinks she made a breakthrough with him, he hasn't been blatantly ignoring her for the past two days. Even greets her when he enters the room she is in."

My heart swelled in hope, everyone had been afraid of calling Bexley because we didn't want to say the wrong thing and make her feel worse about having a mate who didn't want her the way he wanted him. But if they're working through things then we all needed to begin putting our worries aside and calling her.

She was our family, and just because her mate was an Alpha of another pack doesn't mean that we can just brush her off.

With newfound confidence, the both of us worked in peaceful silence.

Pushing away the large piles of papers that I still had to go through, I ran a hand down my weary face. If I was going to do anything, I needed to do it now.

Pushing away from my desk, ignoring my muscles screaming for a run, I briefly checked in on Leia, tapping into her mind. The wall was down and her mind blank, she was asleep. The only time she unknowingly let down the thick steel wall.

Making my way through the becoming familiar halls, the light of the moon comforted me as I entered Bexley's room, not at all surprised to see Emerson sleeping in the leather jacket on top of the bed.

The bed she had so often shared with the both of her siblings that were missing.

Slipping my phone from my pocket, I hit the number 1, the speed dial activating as I lifted the phone to my ear.

My heart pummeled in my chest as the ringing persisted in my ear. As the voicemail activated, I swear my heart cracked as I took in deep breathes.

We were too late. We waited too long to contact her, and she was moving on from us, realizing that she never needed us, to begin with.

She would move on happily with her mate, abandoning her plans for taking a chosen and forget us.

As my mind without my sister played before my eyes, the phone in my hand buzzed, answering it without looking at who was calling, I let out a gruff 'Hello.'

"Kendan," I paused long enough for her to repeat herself. "Kendan, is this you?" Her voice was soft, quiet. Something I don't ever remember her to be.

"It's me, Bex, I'm sorry for not calling sooner."

Guilt built in my as she let out a watery chuckle. "I need to come beat your asses'." Smiling slightly, this was the Bex I remember.

"The Goddess answered my prayers, she is showing me the light." Her voice was still watery as she tried to conceal it. "I miss you." Her words whispered yet again.

And I could see her, sitting just like I am in the dark of the night in the moons glow as we soaked in the Moons blessing.

And as the moon of the light shone down on me, I realized that the Goddess had answered my own unspoken prayers. Praising her silently, I stayed up to talk to Bexley in the sliver of glowing light in the dark of the night.