Kendan

I will remember and recover,

not forgive and forget.

Pain shot through the pack link, the warriors I was training with in preparation to the threats we've gotten felt it as well, one of the Omegas doubling over

Pain shot through the pack link, the warriors I was training with in preparation to the threats we've gotten felt it as well, one of the Omegas doubling over. As next in line Alpha, I felt it the worst. The white-hot fire spread through my insides, setting me alight from the inside out.

My hands were braced against a tree as everyone began to catch their breaths and throw looks over their shoulders at me, they were all curious to know who it was. I was still reeling back in pain, my jaw clenched as I struggled to keep my beast calm, he was ready to rip something apart.

The only way that an Alpha line can feel pain through the link is through a death among the pack members or a forced mating. But no one had found their mates since the ball, even then those who did had already mated.

Those out on patrols all immediately contacted me when it happened, asking if everyone was okay and checking in that everyone on their end was okay.

My mother and father were still away with Maverick, getting good news about steps for him to succeed in life.

The only one who wasn't here...The only one not here was Bexley.

My beast surged forward as I half shifted, those around me taking a wary step back at the sign of a coming to Alpha Lycan struggling to be set free.

"Kendan," Max warily called out, his deep voice startling those who've never heard him speak.

"He marked her," My words came out garbled through snarls as I tried to calm myself down. She wasn't dead. That beast wasn't dumb enough to kill her, knowing there would be a full pack after his own if he did.

But he did mark her, against her will from the pain that shot through the bond that a pack forms within years of spending time together. And Bexley's was one of the strongest as she was always spending time with someone, helping someone.

I could still feel her, regardless if he marked her and started the integration of our pack into his own. My family and I will always have a link to our own family, allowing us to just check on one another if it calls for it.

My own Lycan can feel hers, moving agitatedly within the confines of her realm. Something happened.

"Take over training," I told Max as I finally calmed down and shifted back to my human side. "I have an Alpha to visit."

As I walked through the pack members who were drawn to the training fields, I could see the wary looks on their faces. They didn't want us to go to war and fight so soon after just getting out of one.

My plan wasn't war, my plan was to find out what happened. But if it came down to that, I know that the pack would stand behind my family wholeheartedly.

Because that is what being a pack is about, being there for each other.

I was fuming as I paced my office; the twins were behind their own desks as Leia and Olympia were both sitting, watching the three of us warily. Leia had to of felt Bexley being marked, there is no way she wouldn't have. She was marked into our pack by me, and while she hadn't been accepted into the pack formally as Luna, she was still apart of it.

The only one in the dark here is Olympia, but I'm sure she could still sense something was happening with the rising tensions in the room.

"Did you tell mom and dad?" Ellis finally broke the tension, recalling our conversation before the girls came into the room.

Giving a curt nod, we were enveloped in silence again before Wilder broke it this time.

"What did they say?"

More like how they reacted, I snorted shaking my head. "I'm meeting them at the Kalyke pack tomorrow morning, this wasn't supposed to happen, it just moves the prophecy into place." I didn't miss the look that the twins shared before looking heatedly at Olympia.

"We're staying?" The twins echoed, confusion lacing their voices as they furrowed their brows.

"Yes, someone has to stay behind and watch the pack. Once I'm Alpha the two of you will be doing it if I ever must leave like our parents did. They agreed for you two to take the reigns while Misha watches how you're doing." The both looked excited and wary of taking on the pack, remind me of when I was younger than the both of them and having to step up and do the same.

"You'll be fine, I'll be going alone-"

Leia cut me off with a sharp look. "I'll be coming as well."

Narrowing my eyes at my mate, I homed in on her mark that was red and inflamed. Pursing my lips, I flickered my eyes back to her brown ones.

She saw the answer in my eyes and began to pitch her argument. "I'm going to be Luna, it's only fair I start my role as well."

Sighing quietly, I nodded. "Okay, Leia and I will be-"

"Sorry to interrupt," Olympia grinned slyly as a growl slipped from my throat as I was cut off again. "I know this is a meeting for business, but I think you should include Emerson as well in the trip."

Opening my mouth to tell her no, she continued. "Have any of you actually looked twice at the girl. I know we're busy with the prophecy, but she's your baby sister. She is completely alone in this house and never leaves Bexley's room. I'm sure there will be time for her to spend with her sister."

I was quiet as I thought about Emery. The young girl had been cast aside as my parents focused on Maverick and what we've found out about him. The twins and I had been busy with training, the pack, and the threats and prophecy to have enough time to even breath.

I doubt Leia checked in her as Olympia had.

Sighing heavily, I nodded once again. "Okay we will, now if anyone interrupts me again, I won't stop my Beast." Light smiles flickered on the faces around the room, everyone but Leia who watched me with a straight face.

"When the three of us leave, you two will be in charge while still shouldering your Beta duties, go to Misha if you have any questions or concerns, don't hesitate to contact me. I plan on not being gone longer than a few days, Mother and Father will be coming home with us when we return." Watching the two nod, I nodded back.

"Alright, alert the pack of what is happening. I need to go speak with the patrols to make sure they know that nothing is to slip through the cracks of the lines of the pack. Nothing is to happen while we are gone. Dismissed." I turned my back on them as they filed out.

"Why do you want to really come?" I called out behind me to my mate who hovered between the open door.

"Don't be angry with me Kendan," Was all she whispered as she left, making the pit in my stomach grow wider. I wasn't angry with Leia, meaning she was speaking about what she is doing behind my back, behind the back of our pack.

I frowned looking from my large window, steeling my nerves to go talk to the warriors and then work on the mountain of paperwork I had to still complete.

Leia, I hope you know what you're doing.

I whispered a prayer to the moon, my eyes shut.

As I opened them, I let another thought run through my mind before I took on the role of alpha.

Mate or not, the pack comes first.