Lazarus

You can love a monster,

it can even love you back.

But that doesn't change its nature.

            I had always been so careful about what I would do when I found my mate. The Goddesses will made it so those she put together would always meet at some point in their life, so I made sure to always be prepared.

I knew she hadn't died, I would have felt it. So, I closed myself off to everyone but my own pack. The pack who accepted me when I was just a pup, after my parents died, were the only thing I truly had left. Things changed when I became Alpha. Not only in my pack, but in me.

Growing up in a pack that wasn't mine was difficult, the Alpha was an older man. He had never met his mate and didn't have any heirs. We trained ruthlessly, from 5 years old I knew I would rule over the pack one day.

And it was all I wanted, to be able to avenge those who took my parents from me.

When I became Alpha, I wasn't just a child anymore, I oversaw a whole pack full of Lycans. Sure, I fought for my right to be Alpha, I completed the challenges as my pack watched on thinking the Blind heir would fail miserably.

But I didn't, and I never extracted my revenge. I had found those who did it, kept a close eye on them over the years, sending out warnings to any packs who they were closing in on anonymously. Maybe had I of taken them out when I had a chance, then I wouldn't be beating myself up about it so much now.

Because they had the one thing that could destroy any Lycan: their mate.

. . . . .

I woke up in the usual darkness I've been swallowed in since my first memory. I frowned, wiping a hand across my lips at the dried drool. The warm blanket around my blanket hadn't been there when I had fallen asleep.

Taking in a deep breath, my beast inched forward. A smile flickered at my lips in the solitude. Bexley had been in here, checking on me after I must have fallen asleep when Kendan hung up the phone.

Taking in a deep breath of the sweet smell of roses, that I couldn't point my finger on the exact scent, and cinnamon it brought out the Lycan from deep within my head. He didn't like not being able to see through my eyes and often hid within the depths of my mind until he could come out.

My mind stayed on my little mate as I thought about what we talked about last night. She has such a peculiar mind that it shocked me more often than not.

"History has a way of repeating itself." Her voice was soft as she spoke, the beast still very present. "One day were going to be destroyed by someone who wants the power we have, and no one is going to be able to stop the aftermath." And then she fell quiet once again.

She always had a way of making me think about the things that she said. She always kept herself pulled away to a certain extent.

I tapped my fingers on the tabletop as I thought about Bexley. I should do something for her when this is all over, we've never been like normal mates, but I should still take time out of my day to give time to her.

She was more than just a mate to me though, we had both come such a long way from two people who were dead set on not being around each other to feeling something more that the both of us would have ever expected.

I got up from the desk chair, placing the blanket on the empty chair as I got p to leave the room. I paused at the sudden intrusion through the mind link and what was said had my beast surging forward.

"Alpha!" Becketts voice was loud as the usually quiet man shouted through the mind link.

"Where are you?" I questioned as I made my way down the stairs, hearing Lincolns snoring from somewhere to the right.

"We went on a run, she was begging to go on a run." His voice broke for a moment as my body was going cold. "They came out of nowhere, at least a dozen."

"Where are you Beckett?" My words were slow as my body got heated, the cold being replaced with the burning heat.

"14 miles South of the pack house, Alpha," Beckett paused as I was shouting out directions to the patrols at the same time. "I'm not going to make it out of this."

The picture that he sent forward was one that had my beast taking over. Bexley's form that I had only seen a few times before when my beast took over was terrified, tears streaming down her face, her eyes glowing showed that her rowdy beast was present. The man beside the group that it took to hold my mate said something and Bexley began fighting against the men, landing a kick on the face of the man holding her foot. Beckett shut off me seeing what was happening when two wolves began to approach him.

"This is it," He laughed softly as I shook my head. "She's a good person. I'm proud to have been able to call her my Alpha Female."

"The pack won't be the same without you." I had no words to tell him, there wasn't enough time.

"I wouldn't have it any other way."

And then the pack link with Beckett was torn away.

My knees buckled as everyone in the pack froze for a moment, those who were sleeping were screaming as they woke up.

I could see the outline of Lincoln as he clutched his chest, the salty smell of tears staining the air. "Beckett," He mumbled as I shook my head.

"Where's Bexley?" He got up from the couch, stumbling as I shook my head again, my Lycan surging forward even more, allowing me more sight.

Nan entered the room cautiously, clutching her own chest. "Call the White-Moon family." My words were growled as I was still trying to figure everything out.

"Patrols say there's nothing left at the scene," I cleared my throat, breathing in. "Two bodies. Beckett and one of them."

"Alpha, what do we do?" Link was grasping at straws, dealing with two shots to his heart.

"We wait for the Callisto pack to arrive. And if they hurt her," My voice still hoarse from sleep. "I'll rip them limb from limb with my bare hands." I felt Links wary eyes on me as I was seething. My beast wasn't going to retreat any time soon.

No, I promised myself. If they take her from me, I would rip their entire world apart and at that moment, it didn't scare him at all.

And that was a promise I was going to keep for myself.

With that last thought, I became the monster, that the Alpha who raised me into the Alpha I am today, created.