You Have my Attention

Chapter 36

Jennifer

I kicked off my bedroom slippers and raced up the stairs. I had to get Maria first then I would have to help Lara stand up.

Bang! Bang! Bang!

I threw myself forward pushing myself as hard as I could up the stairs. As I put my hand on the doorknob I heard Maria start to cry I turned the door and stood face-to-face with a gun pointed directly at me. I froze as a man dressed in all black with a ski mask on held Maria.

"Sit", he demanded. I tried to remain calm, but I had already lost the battle. He had my baby and and no one was coming to help me with the battle going on outside. I took a deep breath and raise my hands up. If I was going to die so be it, but not Maria, Fitz, Alma or Lara. I had to think fast, I had to...

"Who sent you?" I asked as I slowly made my way to the rocking chair keeping my eyes squarely on him.

He pointed the gun at Maria and coldly said,"I will kill her in front of you and then go after your other children".

I slowly sank down into my chair,"What do you want?"

"That's better, Mrs. Caffery", he said as Maria continue to cry. He kicked the door shut and aimed the gun on me.

With a trimble in my voice and my hands outreached to him I begged,"Please... she's just a baby. I can made her stop crying".

"So can I", he said waving the gun around.

And let my hands fall down along with any hope of me actually getting Maria back. If my children were going to walk away from this Adam and I wouldn't,"What do you want?"

"Paris, was our message not clear?" He said stepping closer to me.

I needed to lie. I needed him to see value in keeping us alive until the EMTs got here," I have no control over what my husband or his associates do".

"Don't lie to me!" he said pistol-whipping me. I saw stars and he busted my lip open. I ran my tongue over the freshly-made wound.

I was going to kill him.

I continue to speak tossing my hair back," I'm not lying. Who do you think is running things now? Adam can't even walk let alone talk. He's a crippled, and the other houses fell into chaos as soon as they saw power vacuum. Everyone wants to be top dog but no one can be Adam. I'm just the wife, you think I like being here in the middle of nowhere. I'm not even married to a man anymore. I'm here because he's the father of my children and the money is easy. My parents sold me to him to repay their debts. You think I like being here?" I said with wide eyes desperate for him to believe me.

"Who's controlling Paris?" He said placing Maria in my arms. And just when I thought I could breathe a sigh of relief he roughly started to choke me.

I only had one ace up my sleeves as I choked out the only name I knew stood a chance against these men," Alejandro".

Not expecting that answer he let go of my neck and I coughed trying to catch my breath. He stepped back and pulled a cell phone out of his back pocket and placed a phone call,"Yeah...I got them... something came up I think you'll want to hear.
..yeah... No...the wife", I rocked Maria back and forth mentally pleading with her to be quiet. But she continued to cry at deafening pitches. I unwrapped her from her swaddling.

The man held the phone out to me putting it on speaker phone in a computerized voice came through the speakers,"You have my attention Mrs.Caffery".

I had to sell my performance, I had to make both of these men think we were no threat. Unlike Adam I didn't have any connections to the drug world, Alejandro did that for me," I don't know who you are. But I can guarantee you. We're no threat. Adam lost, not just what he built in Paris but his body. He'll never walk or talk again. Please, if you let us live I'll tell you everything..." the door slowly started to open and through a fine crack I saw Lara.