Always A Pleasure

Chapter 56

Jennifer

"This is sad, Shepherd", I said sitting in my seat watching him wiggle on the ground and scream like a banshee. "I just want to talk", I said resting my head in my hand and crossing my legs. Shepherd manage to wiggle over to me and started to bite at my ankles I noticed him away with the edge of my heel,"Are you done?"

He dropped his American accent and immediately went back to his Masalit accent,"What do you want?"

"Honestly, I'm surprised you stayed on the US government's payroll", I said standing up. " I did keep my half of the promise and the Boko Haram disbanded after they were unable to obtain weapons Niger. When I take care of a snake I don't just cut off my head I burn the body and the eggs", I said crossing my arms.

"You can't kill an idea. You just made them martyrs. And sure the Boko Haram maybe disbanded. But their  ideologies still live on in others. And that's why I'm still here", he said wiggling to his knees.

"But, I still held up my end of the bargain. I made you a promise and I kept that. Now you're in Yemen trying to make a difference. Which got me thinking comma is the US involved in Yemen? Because I don't see many boots on the ground. I don't see a public for justice. You're fighting a forgotten war when there is real danger back home", I stated.

Before he could speak, I held up my hand and picked up my gun cocking it," Listen very carefully to what I have to say.You know I'm smarter than your average drug lord wife. You know, I like to stay current on the political climate. I have a feeling comma you know you've been sitting here on a fools errand. To give the illusion the US still gives a damn about a poor Arab Nation with no oil. So let me break it down: as of March 2018, at least 10,000 Yemenis have been killed by the fighting, with more than 40,000 casualties overall. More than a million people have been displaced which is far more complex than a Sunni-Shia conflict. The U.N. calls it the 'world’s worst humanitarian crisis'. Yemen is also on the brink of a new Cholera epidemic, which will become a pandemic with a million cases already being reported, making it the largest documented outbreak in modern history. 400,000 peolpe are at imminent risk of starvation. And no one cares, its worng but true".

'So you did a Google search that doesn't do anything for anyone", Shepherd said with a shrug of his shoulders.

"That's just the tip of the iceberg let's take a deeper dive. Iran-backed Houthi rebels against Saudi-backed government forces, who receive weaponry and other forms of assistance from the U.S. and of course we signed with the Saudis, they have oil but a less-than-stellar human rights advocation---"

"Big deal wars are complicated", Shepherd blurred out.

"No their not. No one knows about this war because the media isn't going to talk about it. Poor, distant nation at war with itself. Americans don't give a damn. And to the fact, we're siding with the Saudis which would require digging into our unsavory relationship. The United States bears the real responsibility for the crisis. But what's really interesting is, In late 2017, after the Houthis fired ballistic missiles at several Saudi cities, the Pentagon  secretly sent US special forces to the Saudi-Yemen border, to help the Saudi military locate and destroy Houthi missile sites. Do you know who else is trying to destroy along side you?", he remains silent but I saw bitterness and venom in his eyes,"Al-Qaeda. Which would mean America is a hypocrite. You're fighting the same good fight together ", I could tell I was right on my guess just from the hate he spewed in his eyes. "Hypothetically, if that happens that means the government lied to its people when it said US troops did not cross into Yemen to fight Yemen’s rebels".

"I assume you have proof of this?"

Not a shred," I wouldn't be standing in front of you if I didn't. So I can be a whistleblower or we can help each other. You see a good old friend Uncle Sam is interfering in my family's affairs. I'm going to need that to stop indefinitely. Operation Henthorne, shut it down. Or Friends in low, brown countries may have to continue their attacks at home. And nothing shakes America up more and then foreigners with bombs. So let's make a deal, I will do two things for you. The attacks happening at home will stop and my little discovery about who your bedfellow is will stay buried. All I ask for you it's a tell the government to fuck off out of my family's affairs".

" I don't have that kind of power", he admitted.

"But your Handler can find someone at Langley or higher up that can. Because if you don't comma I will put this little forgotten war on the front page of every news article, YouTube video, newscast television radio you name it. This war won't be so forgotten. I don't think America is ready to be second best to China who is quietly trying to take a leadership role".

"You know as well as I they're going to negotiate with you", He said.

"This isn't a negotiation. These are my demands and I expect them to be met", I reached into my back pocket and pulled out a burner phone. I bent down and put it in his pants pocket. " he really want to sell this to your higher-ups. Because I can do business not only with al-Qaeda, but the Russians and the Chinese. I will back every enemy of the United States until World War three breaks out. And I promise you unlike the last one you will not emerge a superpower".

"You're bluffing", he said staring deep in my eyes.

Not breaking his gaze I challenged him," Try me".

I still not and walked over to the plane door opening it up to see Liam standing outside,"We're finish". No sooner did the words leave my mouth a few man came in to drag him off the plane. "It's always a pleasure to see you Shepherd".

Liam shut the door stepping inside as Shepherd was escorted off of the plane," I'll alert the pilot to take off".

"Thank you", feeling accomplished I went back to my seat. By the time the others drop Shepherd back off and get back to the airfield another plane would be here to take them back to Michael.

Before I could even get to my seat the plane was already turning itself around. As I sat down I called he had to be in a mall or something there's too many voices in the background for him not to be," That was fast".

"But, it's taken care of...for now. I made some pretty big claims and threats".

"I want to hear it.  But, I have a quick question what kind of purse do you wear?" Adam questions  with confusion in his voice.

"I just threatened one of the most powerful Nations on Earth and you're worried about what kind of purse I wear?" I asked.

"Its for Lara. We have an agreement she won't stockpile  food but she can keep some snacks in a purse. The only problem is we don't know anything about purses".

"Okay, for winter you want dark colors in for spring and summer you want lighter colors. Katie Spade is a good beginner purse. Ideally, she would want to tote , for school she should have a camaron street bag, and for special occasions she'll need a clutch", with a little bit of jealousy I asked," Why is Lara purse shopping with you?" I mean I've had purses before. I would think I would be the expert in this field.

"Jealous? That Thomas and I get to be the only two men in this Coach store sitting in the dad chairs".

"I would trade places with you in a heartbeat", I admitted.

"O she picked one. Let me call you back love. I'll send you a picture".

"Okay, love you", I confessed.

"Love you more", he ended the call.

I put my phone in the seat next to me and stared out the window into the night sky. I shouldn't be jealous, Lara and I will have plenty of first to do. She's just doing this one with Adam and that was fine. I would have my turn too.

Liam came from out of the captain cockpit and as he passed me he said," We are good to go, ma'am".

"Excellent, thank you for everything you did tonight".

"Just doing my job ma'am, I'll be in the back if you need me", and with that said he went to the back of the plane to make himself comfortable. It was going to be a long flight back to Missouri.