What Did You Do Today?

Chapter 24

Jennifer

I woke a bit sore but completely relaxed.

I felt lighter.

Better.

Like someone just removed a 50 pound rock off of me. The sun was still out and I stretched sitting up in bed.

"Adam?" I called out.

Vvvvzzzztttt vvvvzzztttt vvvvzzzttt

I looked over to my nightstand and picked up my phone.

It was Alma Skype calling me. I pulled the blanket up around my chest and answer the call,"Mommy!"

My heart melted as I saw her front tooth came out,"Baby, your tooth".

She held up her baby tooth and with a slight lisp said," Uncle Nate tied a string to my teeth and slammed the door shut and it came out. And look Sofía came!"

"Tooth and that's wonderful. You're such a big girl! The tooth fairy is going to be so excited to get that".

I had to show Adam.

"Hold on, little one. Let me show daddy", I said putting down my phone. I quickly through on some grey work pants and a black blouse. I put on the closest shoes to me which happened to be my black Louis Vuitton red bottom heels. I started walking through the house looking for Adam.

"Look what Auntie Sara made", Alma said excitedly holding up a pink crocheted super chunky yarn blanket."Sofía has one too!" She said rubbing her cheek against the soft fabric.

Well isn't Sara just the perfect one. I can make a blanket. I can repair aortic valve, I can suture a man back to life, I've held life and death in my hands. "That beautiful".

Alma kept talking but my mind was more wrapped up and how I was going to make a blanket to out-compete Sara. I've never been DIY crafty. I've always been bargain-hunting savvy. I wonder if there's a craft store close by?

Everything Heather and Allen had was handmade or stitched by Sara. Was it bad that I just bought Alma things? I guess I should be making baby blankets and caps for the twins.

I can do that.

It's something Alma or the twins can give to their kids. I could even make one for Lara and she can throw it across her bed or something.

I searched the house top to bottom and couldn't find Adam. Until eventually I had to tell Alma goodbye. She was getting bored, and wanted to go play on her piano.

I was definitely going to have to reimburse Nate. He went above and beyond as usual. The house was eerily quiet and empty.

I heard a soft banging like someone was hitting a pipe.

Odd.

I followed the sound into the basement. The basement was more of a bunker, all concrete and no personality. Near the ceiling were long low windows, no wider than the slits in a castle turret but lying on their sides. Without any circulation of air the stagnant aroma made it dungeonesque. Four concert speakers stood in each corner,"Just tell us who Henthorn is and we can make all this stop".

I heard muffled angry screaming and I smelled burning flesh. I sat on the stairs barely in view and watch the gruesome scene unfold for me. Francisco Lorenzo, was torturing the would-be bomber using a hot iron poker. The man was completely naked and tied down to a chair his face had bloody gashes and dark purple bruises all around his body. His chair was in the middle of a black tarp. It look like he lost a big toe, and he had slice marks up and down his torso. He was covered in sweat and had a gag in his mouth. "Once more, you don't need to protect this person he is not coming for you. You were sent on a suicide mission".