Family Meeting

Chapter 28

Adam

"Wake up, sleepy head", I heard Jennifer's voice say stroking my hair.

I open my eyes and saw the room was flooded with light that seared into my skull. I felt hungover and sick,"What, what happened?"

Damn, she looked good.

I didn't even care that my body felt like it just got hit by a dump truck. Jennifer's Hair was in those big girls I loved cascading down her back, her makeup was perfect, even though she didn't need it, her skin look like it was glowing under rudy red lips. She had put on the dress Gamila  had made for her. It was a beautiful long formal dress met to turn heads. The eye-catching black dress had a deep v-neckline on a delicately pleated bodice that wss supported by thin spaghetti straps. Fully lined, the long printed tulle mesh a-line skirt flowed from her natural waistline to a floor.

She wore a few of the pieces of jewelry I'd giving her over the years. On her ears dangled eye-catching shimmering 18 karat white gold earring that twinkle with brilliant centers of 5.5 karats of round-cut diamonds. On her wrist was a 14 karat white gold bracelet with nine and a half carats of diamonds in a a round cut. A "Y" necklace that hung  in low down her chest. And of course she wore her wedding ring, and...painted her nails red?

That's new.

"You fell asleep. I guess I made the drink to strong?"

"Yeah?" I really couldn't peak my eyes off of her.

"I'm sorry, I did make us some reservations for breakfast. Some food will do you a world of good", She said.

"We're here?" I popped up. I slept for a full 12 hours!

"Mhmm", she leaned over and kissed me,"Now shower, please? We're meeting your mom at the hotel-- St. Regis", she said standing up. "Everyone's ready when you are".

"What time is it?" It had to be at least midnight.

"1 AM", she said as I pulled her down to sit on my lap. I kissed her neck, as she started to pull away,"We aren't going to keep Celine waiting. Michael and Brandon are already here".

O.

So this was a family meeting.

I would shower once we got to the hotel. If my mother needed me now I didn't want to waste time. I let Jennifer go and quickly put on my clothes.

"I sent flowers to James and Ross's family. At noon, we'll go and sit with Ingrid. Then around four Abigail", she said handing me a thermos can.

"What's in here?" I asked.

"Something to help you get through this meeting. Kentucky coffee", she said pulling on her long, black, knee-high coat. "I have a feeling you're not going to like what she has to say".

Why?

Now dressed I put on my coat and was finally ready to leave. I reached for her hand and we exited the plane to a thunderstorm. Black clouds sprawl across the sky, billowing in from the west. The air was heavy and the humidity pressed down, suffocatingly. The scent of rain is dark and heady. A stillness fell before a low crackle of thunder, rolls across the sky to the pattering of tiny raindrops. For a moment, everything stops. A streak of hot silver splits the sky, and the downpour begins.

Jennifer picked up a nearby golf umbrella and picking up her dress she said,"Shall we?"

I nodded taking the umbrella. We descended the stairs and once I made sure Jennifer in the car, I turned and went for the driver side. Siding in I turned on the radio and waiting for the lead car to move. I sipped on my coffee,"You look beautiful, love".