Cooing

Chapter 35

Adam

"Up and down, up and down, you're getting stronger, Mr. Caffery", the nurse said stretching out my legs. I hated her perkiness. She talked to me like I was a goddamn child. And with every breath she took I wanted to bash my head in.

The only good thing she did was noticed I could move my fingers.

"And done", the nurse said putting my leg down.

Great.

"I'll go get your lunch, sir", the nurse said with a smile. Yeah, you do that.

"Can I have apple juice?" Alma asked sitting on a nearby couch looking at TV.

I blinked yes to the nurse. Why not? At least she would be eating with me. I started doing a lot of things alone that I normally did was Jennifer. Dinner being one of them. I just didn't want her to see me like this. So for as much as I had say in I tried to keep her away.

"Sure", the perky nurse said. I hadn't even bothered to learn her name.

I stared out the window watching as snow gently fell down to the ground. Alma really wanted to go outside and play in it but Jennifer didn't have the time and Josh and Nate only stayed out there for about ten minutes before they made her comeback in. I heard them leave early this morning, something about Christmas shopping.

I missed our story time. Which has just turned into sit around and watch TV time. I listened as the wind blew hard against the house the snow like confetti. I stared as if I was lost at the untouched snow in front of me. The swirling white and the lush grass collided. The shrubs and trees were stained with white. The ground was as smooth as a cake icing falling like icing powder, perfecting it to its finest point.

Until...

What was that?

Someone was walking around the property and it wasn't one of Alejandro's men. They wore Arctic military camouflage, which made sense in the snow. This man wore black from head to toe. And my eyes weren't good enough to see if he had a weapon.

But, I knew in my heart he did.

Why else would he be coming up to the house from the woods. I had to do something I had to warn everyone before it was to late.

With all of my strength and sheer will I violently started to tap my hand. Where the fuck was that nurse! I looked over to Alma who is hypnotized by the Disney Channel.

God what what I give to be able to talk right now!

All I could do was blink and tap my fingers. My family needs me and this is all I can fucking do!

I can't concentrate on anything else that what I'm doing. My heart started beating harder and faster, my adrenaline levels rise, my balls try and crawl up inside my body and my brain starts to fire out negative thoughts like a machine gun. As sweat started to perspiration all over my body. 

JENNIFER!

Jennifer

A few days had passed since we discovered Father Francis. For some reason I liked talking to him more than a therapist or the psychiatrist. So I made it a habit to go see him, and every time I went to the church Adam wanted to come to.

New.

I didn't know if he was doing it because he wanted to give me company, comfort or he just liked listening to Father Francis and I talk. A quick way found out a lot about father Francis, I had Brandon do a background check on him. And we just talked about our families 2. And everything he told me he checked out with the background check. He was the youngest of 9 kids from a small town in Italy. He got sent here on a mission from the church and he did such good work they decided to make him stay here. His family was proud of his work, and they came and visited him when they could. Father Francis told Adam and I he would be spending Christmas alone and I immediately invited him to spend the holidays with us. It's the least I could do.