Nailing it as a Dad

Chapter 41

Adam

The last thing I remember was blacking out as Jennifer tried desperately to save me. I was fucking useless. I couldn't protect Alma, I couldn't protect Fitz or Maria. Something had happened to Lara and I was again no help. Whatever happened upstairs it gave Jennifer a nasty black eye.

I wanted to die in those moments. Jennifer had the weight of the world on her shoulders and she had to carry me to. If I could have spoken in that moment I would have told her to not worry about me. To focus on our children. But she didn't. She pushed through and made almost pushed through to. I had never seen her so scared in my life. It was my job to protect this family and I failed miserably. If only I could...

Do anything!

I was a fucking envolent crippled and a burden on our house.

"Our Father, Who art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy name; Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done on earth as it is in Heaven...." that was Jennifer the voice and someone else.

A man.

The priest?

I didn't know clergyman visited hospitals. I really didn't like how Jennifer was putting so much faith in him. She opened up to Father Francis in a way she doesn't with me. She told him she was pregnant before she told me. In fact, I don't think Jennifer has told anyone about the baby.

I open my eyes to find no one there. My eyes quickly ran across the room as they fell to my left. Lara was in a hospital bed like I was, asleep and connected to an IV. Jennifer and Father Francis stood over her. In the corner of the room I saw a crib Maria and were happily cooing in the corner while Alma lay asleep on a nearby couch. "What happened?" I said shocking myself.

I could talk!

"Adam!" Jennifer said rushing to my bedside she threw herself in my arms and began to kiss me deeply. I still couldn't move my arms or legs but at least now I can communicate with people. All it took was getting shot in the chest.

Fair trade?

In this moment, all I needed was Jennifer's lips on mine. And as soon as I thought that she was pulling away. "How are you feeling? Now that you can talk?" She said cupping my cheek and running her thumb across my lip.

My eyes wondered past her as I saw Father Francis coming into view," I'll give you two a moment. I'll be right outside if you need me". Father Francis quietly made his exit. Now that Jennifer and I were alone, I had about a thousand things I wanted to talk to her about. Namely the baby.

I look down to her belly then back up to Jennifer warm brown eyes. Was she wearing makeup?

"How is the baby?"

Her widen before returning to normal she took a step away from me crossing her arms,"Fine. We have a more pressing matters to attend to. Like---"

"Do you regret having children?"

She paused flicking at my question.

That's not good.

"Of course not", she said walking to the foot of my bed. I could tell she was offended by the question but it was legitimate.

"Then why were you thinking about getting rid of our baby?" I'm pretty sure religious people don't believe in abortion but she had considered it.

Why?

Was she that miserable with our family? Was I so content in our lifestyle that I missed warning signs. Did I take advantage of her goodwill until eventually it burned out? And now, the idea of having another kid was too much... horrifying.