Always Love You

Chapter 59

Jennifer

After a four hour long session I drove home with Laim following behind me.

I walked inside the house to hear the piano being played. I hung my coat up in the coat closet it made my way into the music room. I saw all my sitting at her piano dutifully playing a song. Her back was to me as I watched her play. I leaned against the doorway taking in the room. The room was uncomfortably large. It reminded me of a hotel foyer, not just in the space but in the artwork too. I scan for a personal touch, something that doesn't suggest a hired designer chose it. Nothing. The floor was a polished concrete, the walls white and the furniture I'm sure is from a high-end Scandinavian designer, but the name escapes me for the moment.  the sun had finally decided to come out. It's bright rays made the room look almost sun-bleached. It was stuffy in here, I walked over to the balcony doors and opened them to let some air in. Alma knew I was here but kept playing.

Fine.

I sat on a nearby Victorian white  couch. Listening to her play.

There are times it feels as if the music is teaching my brain how to flow, how to be so peaceful. It's as if the slowly changing tone touches different parts, a sort of auditory massage for my mind. It is an invitation for slowness and to feel the presence of myself, the ever patient version of me who waits to be spoken to, and is content to do so. There are times light, wind and nature do the same, yet differently, each in their own way.

She stopped abruptly turning to look at me. Crossing my legs and folding my hand on my kneel I praised her, "That was beautiful".

"Thank you", She said rubbing her eyes.

"Sleepy? Did you have nap time at school?" I must had been a half day. She shook her head no. "Let take a nap then---"

"No, I need to practice", she complained.

"Is it Chopin?" Out of all the composers I knew she hated him the most. I couldn't blame her I was more of a Fritz Kreisler girl myslef. "We could take a nap first then come back to practice. You're too tired to play".

With her bottom lip poked out she shook her head no. Well, no one can say she's not dedicated. I stood up to look at the music sheet.

Nocturne.

Interesting.

"Will you play with me?" She said looking up to me.

"Of course", I said running my hands through her hair trying to tame her flyaways down. I picked up my Old Violin nearby getting in position to play,"You lead".

That put a smile on her face as she turned around to play the piano. We rarely did this but when Alma and I did play together there was something about the vibrations that felt so heavenly, as if it were liquid energy seeping right through my skin. 

I watch it every little thing is ran across the keyboard as if new life had been breathed into her soul. We finished our duet and I set my violin down. " That was so good, little one!"

She spoke in spanish to me,"¿Todavía me amas?"

Do you still love me?

"Con todo mi corazón", I firmly said.

With all my heart.

She stood up on her piano bench and reached out to me for a hug. In this moment the her little arms squeezed me a fraction tighter and Alma breathed more slowly, her body melting into me as every muscle lost its tension. I kissed her head,"Mommy will always love you. No matter what. You that?"

"Yes", she said playing with my hair.

" You can't go around kissing boys. Your kisses are special for mom and dad", right now, "And only a select few boys....people should get them". I picked her smoothing out her hair," Let's take a nap. Then we'll go get McDonald's".

Her head shot off of my shoulder with excitement,"Chicken nuggets?!"

"Yup and an apple pie", She jumped out of my arms.

"Let's go!" She said racing towards the garage.

I probably should have pulled the McDonald card after the nap.

O well.