Nothing Too Terribly Exciting

Chapter 50

Jennifer

I kept the lily trying to figure out what it meant. It was hard to focus with the throbbing pain in my back. I stared fixated on the Madonna lily. I probably looked crazy on the plane. But this flower had some meaning to it otherwise why I put it in my car.

But what?

The only time I ever saw lilies were at funerals.

Was this a warning? Or a promise?

I didn't like thinking about that.

Thankfully, Adam was feeling chatty. We texted for most of the flight even though my mind was more forced on the flower. He had a dinner date with Lara tonight.

Good.

I really didn't want her going to that party tonight. And this is a happy win for everyone. Once the plane finally landed and I collected my bags I was ready to go home. Not focusing on where I was going I ran into a man dressed in all black with a baseball cap on its head. When we collided we both dropped our phones. I bent down ready to pick up mine,"I'm sorry---"

He kept on walking leaving his phone behind. I picked it up ready to chase after him only to see my name on the home screen.

I slowly put my phone into my back pocket and looked up to see if I could get a better view of the man. He disappeared in a crowd of people leaving me completely speechless in shock. Michael said it normally took about a week for them to reach out. Yet here I was not even a day later. I turned around and started to head outside of the airport ready to hail a cab. I would check the phone once I was home and no one would be looking over my shoulders.

"Mrs. Caffery!" I heard a familiar voice yell just as I was about to get into a taxi.

"Thomas!" I yelled back walking towards the black SUV. "You didn't have to come all the way out here. A taxi would have saved---" The back window of SUV slid down revealing Adam. He looked more like himself in his black suite. " I thought you had a date?"

"We finished early", I made my way slowly car until I was standing face-to-face with Adam,"How was your trip?"

Thomas came around to my side and took my bag putting it in the trunk,"Good, nothing too terribly exciting", I said not warranty to give myself away. If Adam was here it was because suspense something.

"I didn't know they sold flowers at the airport", he said critically.

"You'd be amazed at what they will sell", I took a deep breath trying to calm myself down. He was trying to read me,"It's for Lara. An apology, really. I shouldn't try and push my prejudices onto her. Laura's a smart girl and if she wants to associate with the Keeven's I trust her to make good decisions".

Still looking for the lie Adam said,"Lilies are for death. Purple Hyacinth would be a better choice for forgiveness".

"I just saw a pretty flower", I said with a gentle smile. "Who have you been giving Hyacinth to?"

"Not me, Rodger to my mother", of course. We have a stare-down, one that Adam normally won. But not today, this time I could not lose.

BBBBBEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!

A car horn went off behind us making me jump,"Let's move it! Some people got places to be!" A rude man yelled.

"FUCK OFF, ASSHOLE!" I snapped walking towards the blue Dodge Intrepid. Ready to kick someone's ass. It is been a long 24 hours and I'll be damned if I let some asshole in a 2001 beat up junker of a car tell me off. Before I could even see the man Thomas hooked his arm around me gently pushing me back towards our car.