Paris. Is. Mine.

Chapter 15

Adam

"Don't have to sleep on the couch, Lara", I said giving her a blanket.

"Alma can sleep with us", Jennifer said making the pull out more comfortable.

"It's ok, I don't want to inconvenience anyone", She said.

"It's no inconvenience, Rodger can sleep on the fucking floor", I said turning off the T.V.

"I couldn't make an old man sleep on the floor", Lara said.

"Trust me, this one can", I said.

"Don't listen to him", Jennifer said finish with the pull-out bed,"There's more than enough room in our bed".

"Really, this is fine", she said.

"Okay", Jennifer said,"But first, let's clean your face. Rule number one, never sleep and makeup it'll ruin your skin", I sat on a nearby loveseat and watched Jennifer and Lara. They had an effortless bond. And looking at them now, in this moment the Jennifer I found in her office couldn't exist. Had I been missing something?

I have been thinking about what she said all day. She wasn't wrong, but I didn't want them to know she was right. The world can't be against you if you're rich. It has to cheer you on then.

Is that wrong?

"All clean, and your bruising is even going away. Two or three more weeks you'll be back to normal", Jennifer said cheery. Lara got into the pull out bed and we both tucked Lara in,"Goodnight", Jennifer said lovingly.

"Can I ask you guys something?" Lara said sitting up.

"Yes, anything", Jennifer said.

"What happened today wasn't about Adrik looking for me right?" She said with big round eyes.

"No, Adrik has no power in France", I said trying to reassure her.

"You won't have to worry about him for much longer", Jennifer said. I had a bad feeling about that. Anytime Jennifer has revenge in her heart she takes it to a whole new level. And I don't think I could ever survive another Coahuila.

" I just don't want anyone to get hurt because of me. And you guys been so nice me I don't want to mess it up", she said.

"What happens if the school had nothing to do with you and more to do with...." What to say?

"Drug trades", Jennifer said filling in the blanks for me. "Someone is trying to take control of Adam's territories. As you can imagine, we don't let go easily. So fighting happens. This is nothing new and it's a very old hat".

"Right. Nothing new, your biggest concern should be picking out a dress for Alma's concert contest", I said not wanting to leave her with that final thought of an all-out drug war.

Turn to Jennifer Lara asked," what happens if you don't win?"

"That's not an option. We will win just like we have in the past", Jennifer said firmly.

"You can tell me the worst case scenario. I wouldn't be asking if I didn't want to know", Lara said.

"You don't need to think about---"

Jennifer cut me off," the absolute worst case scenario is, someone puts a bullet in Adam and I. You, Alma, and the twins will be sold to human traffickers. And I don't need to tell you what for".

"Can I help?"

"Absolutely not", Jennifer said quicker than I could.

"Lara, you're safe here. What happens with the business doesn't affect your everyday life. Like I said, your biggest concern should be finding a dress---"