Miss Me?

Chapter 6

Jennifer

I had call, after call, after call. All day long non-stop and I loved it. I ended up driving all the way to Paris. And by the time I finished with my last patient it was well past midnight.

The rain was back.

Rain fell in crazy chaotic drops, the gusting wind carrying them in wild vortices one moment and in diagonal sheets the next.

I called Adam from my car phone. He picked up immediately,"Hey stranger, you're working late".

I smiled,"So are you. How was day?"

"Good, pretty uneventful here. Are you on your way home?" He asked. Dread creeped over me like an icy chill, numbing my brain.

"I'm in Paris", I said hoping he would fill in the blank.

"Gotcha, you should have taken the helicopter if you were going that far", I wanted to drive.

"I wasn't thinking. But, now I am going to head to Main House and get some rest", I said.

"I'll have the helicopter pick you up in the morning", Adam said. A shudder ran through me.

Trapped.

I was trapped. I was confined within the walls of mine mind. I felt claustrophobic. My breathing became steady, my mind still focused. If there was a way out, it's just a matter of me thinking clearly until I find it.

"Then my car would be stuck in Paris. I'm fine driving", I quickly changed the topic,"So what happened with Brandon? Is Lara all clear?" The car was getting dangerously close behind me. I pushed the car forward harder.

"Lara is good...." I started to phase out what Adam was saying. I held my focus in my rearview mirror staring at the high-beam lights of a car still fastly approaching behind me.

Bang!

Trying to run me off the road.

I turned on my GPS tracker cut Adam off,"Someone's trying to run me off the road".

The car hit me again from behind so hard it knocked the wind out of me when my body made contact with the steering wheel. "WHAT? Who--" car came out of nowhere and rammed me on the side knocking it off of the highway and down into an embankment. The car rolled down the hill jerking me and throwing me throughout the car. Shattered pieces of glass started to dig into my skin, my vision was blurry, and I could feel raindrops hitting me like tiny little needles. The car rolled to a violent stop smashing my head into the window. I was upside down.

I could taste blood. A piece of sharp metal was jabbed into my side, I was going to pass out from pain.

No!

I had to get up. I couldn't stay in the car, whoever rammed me off of the road would be coming to get me. With shaky hands I reach for the glove box pulling out my glock hand gun. With my heart pounding hard I undid my seatbelt and climbed into the back of the car.

I can't run, I can't hide, and help is too far away. So, I fight.

Or die trying.

I pulled the passenger seat back with a weak grip. Black spots dance across my vision, and I pulled the seat so hard I thought my arm would come off.