Purse

Chapter 55

Adam

"Be safe", I said ending the call. I could go for a nap right now. Tomorrow morning we would be leaving bright and early for Como, Italy. Ava wanted to bring in some of her family members. And after everything she's done for me, I wasn't going to deny her this meeting. Besides if it worked out I would have a new arms dealer.

I stood up and went to the adjacent bathroom to clean myself up . After a quick shower. I went back to the living room area to check on Lara who was two feet away from the TV with the blanket Jennifer had made for her over her head. Clearly, she had ordered more room service from the pizza boxes, dirty plates and trolley of sweets. It was nice to see her not looking homeless in clothes that actually fit her. Even if it was yoga pants and quarter zip jacket. "Come I'm sitting on the couch or not right in front of the TV".

She scooted back until she ran into my leg she scooted over slightly and kept her gaze focused on the TV. She was watching something on Netflix. "What are we watching?"

"Vampire Diaries", she said in a trance. This has to be a phase girls go through? I knew Jennifer was still obsessed with Twilight and she is a grown woman.

"Cool", I said trying to see what the appeal was.

Just guys who are obsessed over one girl.

After the four episode I broke our silence,"Ok I think its time for bed?"

"I'm hungry Lara said turning around to face me.

"Are you hungry or bored?"

"I just want to make sure we have food for tomorrow. Just in case", I flipped off the TV speechless. It didn't matter if I told Lara she didn't have to worry about food she was always going to worry.

"You know you can order room service in the morning? You can even eat on the plane or the car ride--- really anytime", I explained.

"But, it's better to have it now then we don't have to worry", she stated.

"Why? It won't be fresh and it'll be cold".

"It's better to have still and cold food then nothing at all", She whispered looking down at the carpet.

" Lara... You..." I had no idea what to say that I hadn't already told her. She wasn't going to have to worry about food or clothes. But in the back of her mind it was always going to be a problem. Jennifer and I knew she had a rough upbringing. But we've kept every promise to her. Why didn't she believed us on this,"Why?"

"Cuz I don't want to be hungry. It suck, you know, not knowing where your next meal is coming from. Or if it will come", she kept her eyes focused on the carpet refusing to look at me.

No, I didn't. As awful as Rodger was I never went to bed hungry. Maybe, scared, confused and angry but never hungry. I wanted to understand Lara. More than just her background check. I wanted to bond with her the way Jennifer just naturally did. "You've had a lot of hungry nights?"

She nodded yes.

My heart broke and my blood boiled. How did her parents let that happen? If it came down to it I would do anything for Alma, Fitz, Maria and Daniel. Lie, beg, murder or steal.

Anything.

Food was a necessity. One that she had been denied enough to know if I don't have it now I'm going to regret it.

I wanted to approach this topic as gently as I could. But I didn't know how to. I had a lot of fucking questions. Ones that weren't necessary, but burning. Like where was her biological parents? They sold her into the sex trade what were they making her do before? Did she have brothers and sisters? How long has she been homeless? How long has she been alone?