Midnight Oil

Chapter 9

Adam

After a full day of "training" Connie. Jennifer had finally called it a day. She was super critical of everything Connie did. But Connie adapted and did everything exactly the way Jennifer wanted it. Alma seemed to like Connie, not enough for her to do story time tonight. Which I was fine with, storytime was our thing.

I read A Wrinkle in Time again. Until she fell asleep, then tucked her in. I checked on the twins who were content with Connie. Since Connie, had agreed to the nanny position we set her up with a suite room right across from the twins room. It was more than comfortable but I would remodel it to make it more livable. I would have Jolene decorated the room however Connie wanted it.

I was just about to head to Jennifer and I's  room when I pass by and Lara's door. I heard soft crying from her cracked door.

I paused like a deer in headlights not knowing what to do.

Maybe she wants to talk?

Or maybe this is a Jennifer thing. The thoughts of a teenage girl are an enigma to me.

"Meowwww", did Michael leave Belle here? That fucking cat had it's own house. Michael had come to me asking me to design a castle. I thought he wanted a summer home, something for him and Sara to enjoy.

No.

Not even close, Michael had my design built but on the scale of a dog house. I don't know why a cat would need a six-bedroom castle but Belle does. And apparently her own personal wait staff.

"Mmmeeeeooowwww".

I decided to knock on the door,"Lara?"

I heard Bella purring.

Knock knock

She didn't say anything so I just walked in. I walked past the sitting room and saw her sitting cross-legged on the floor with her back towards me. Lara was holding and petting Belle. She had on an oversized green hoodie and black running shorts. Her face was starting to heal, it was still bad just not as bad as the first time I saw her. A lot of the swelling around her eye had gone away, she was still black and blue all over. And now shades of purple are starting to show up on her cheeks.

"Don't get too attached that cat. Michael will fight you for his "first born".

She jumped startled by my voice,"I'm sorry. I should have asked". She said quickly wiping her face and putting Belle on the floor.

I stayed in the doorway leaning against the frame,"Don't be. Michael is just..." eccentric, stupid I could think of a thousand words to describe Michael but just one wouldn't do him justice.  "Michael".

She turned around to face me still sitting on the floor. Belle stayed close by her side,"Can I ask you something?"

"Shoot".

"How long can I stay here?" She said.

"As long as you want", I said.

"Why? Why are you being nice to me?" She said.

"I can repeat back what Jennifer said to you or I tell you the truth which do you prefer?"

"The truth", she said.

"Jennifer and I would like to adopt you", she looks surprised but I continued,"My other brother, the one who is not an ass, did a background check on you. You don't have anyone. And Jennifer is determined to keep you here".