Lara

Chapter 2

Jennifer

"Mommy, I forgot Sofía!" Alma yelled out.

"No, no in Spanish please". When it was just Alma and I, I wanted her to keep using Spanish. I didn't want her to forget her native tongue. Adam had tried to learn Spanish, but it just wasn't clicking for him he picked up a few words. But, that was about it. So anytime and I were alone I made sure we still spoke Spanish. For her not to know it is like me forgetting Cajun. Its a part of who I am.

Plus, it was good to be bilingual. At the beginning it was rough for Alma to learn English. But, she did finally get it. French was hard for her and Adam and I had tried to work with her on it. Thankfully the school was understanding. Most of the classes were taught in English anyway. It would come in time.

Not even thinking about it Alma switch to Spanish and said her sentence again.

"Sofía, is at the dressmaker remember?" Alma loved her doll like it was real. Anywhere she went Sofía went too. It was a one-of-a-kind doll Adam and found down in Mexico. And impossible to find a replicant. Because Alma loved Sofía so much she got dirty easily. And anytime I tried wash her it traumatized you would swear I was waterboarding the doll the way she cries.

"Can we go get her tomorrow?" She asked.

I swear sometimes she uses that doll to sweep the floors. It didn't matter how many times I washed it it still had an odor to it. So Sofía had become a dry clean only doll. Hopefully they could work a miracle.

"We'll see, baby", If the dry cleaner didn't work. I don't know what black magic I was going to have to perform to keep Alma happy.

I looked in my rearview mirror and saw police lights flashing behind me.

"Uh-oh", Alma said hearing the sirens.

"It's okay, little one. They're going to help me drive faster", and as soon as I said that the police car behind me jumped in front of my car while another appeared behind me.

Sometimes it's good to have the police on your payroll. We took off at neck braking speeds speeding down the D 17 Highway.

Alma and I fell into light conversation she told me about school today and how she wanted Adam and I to come to bring your parent to school day. I remember getting an email about that, the teacher just wanted us to come in and give a short explanation on what we do. It was supposed to, help the kids start thinking about jobs.

Which is just ridiculous they're six and seven. Of course Adam and I will be there, if we didn't come Alma wouldn't get it her " free dress down day". I probably wouldn't hear the end of it from Gamila. As Alma's Godmother she made sure all of her clothes were couture only made by the House of Gamila. Nate and Josh were her Godfathers. Since day one they've treated her like she was a mini Beyonce.

Softly splashing water droplets hit the car windows as we drive onwards. The night skies are overhung with a blanket of grey, so much so that I c barely tell the difference between the sky and clouds. After a short 20 minute drive we were arriving at the castle-like mansion on the outskirts of Morbihan.

The police car in front of us punched in a code as we waited for the gates to open.In the shadow, cast by castle walls thicker than my arm is long, a chill creeps over the grass. The scent of late fall is laden into those gusts that push impetuously against the sentinel stone. Every flutter of a leave catches my attention.